giggin' frogs?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by dhines, Mar 17, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    was out on the canals last friday and the frogs were just going nuts . . . made me think, damn i love eating frog legs. anyone know how to tell if a frog is edible? anyone ever gigged frogs in the canals? if so, where is the best spot?

thanks,

2. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Never gigged any myself but have been tempted many times when I was out at night trying to catch a fish and the dumb things wouldn't shut up. Guess it was courtin season.. I listened for a while then started to answer them. After a short pause I got some interested in me!!! Guess I been in the wilderness too long.:wink: Anyway, to get back to your question I hear bullfrog legs are very good. I think that's the species we have here in Yuma and I suspect it's what you have down Calexio way also. Tight lines.

:cool2:

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Bullfrogs are good eatin'. we used to go frog giggin' all the time

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    doug, just make sure you got your license along if and when you try the gigging. i've gigged, but from boat.
    luck down there.
    gary

5. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    gary i think you have a point . . . giggin the canals would be a difficult to do because you cant use a boat. i would guess it would be nearly impossible to sneak up on those frogs by foot.

anyone had any experience giggin without a boat? maybe i will just try giggin the colorado river (and buy the extra stamp).

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    get as long as handle gig you can handle. neighbor said they used a 15 ft one, and spot light. for some reason, the frogs froze in the bright light.
    we used to sneak in on them in boat with oars, hit them with spot light and had a 12 ft gig. have to admit, i missed more than i got though. usually i rowed and partner gigged.
    gary

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    The slough I fish, foggers use small alum boats with trolling motor. they have a big spot light and long pole with a gig. Sometime I see people walk along the shore with the spot light to gig frogs.

As a kid, my dad and I used to gig frogs and eat the legs. Watch out though, some legs may jump out the skillet when cooking:smile2:

8. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Easy way to gig em in the canals here in Imperial Valley is to use a vehicle to drive slowly down the canal or drainage ditch with meggabilion brightest dahmm light you can get. works good with 3 ppl in pickemup truck 1 drives and other two in bed ine with with light and 1 gigger dude. when ya spot the shining of the frog eyes yup they shine ya keep light on frog n try to gig em with a 15 -20 foot giggin pole. Object is to gig em before they know they been gigged. really good eating a little fishey tasting but fried up with okra n hush puppies dahmm fine eating. as a teenager we used to go giggin every weekend. also try catching some of the crawdads in lower drainage ditches really good eatin there as well.

9. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Easy way to gig em in the canals here in Imperial Valley is to use a vehicle to drive slowly down the canal or drainage ditch with meggabilion brightest dahmm light you can get. works good with 3 ppl in pickemup truck 1 drives and other two in bed ine with with light and 1 gigger dude. when ya spot the shining of the frog eyes yup they shine ya keep light on frog n try to gig em with a 15 -20 foot giggin pole. Object is to gig em before they know they been gigged. really good eating a little fishey tasting but fried up with okra n hush puppies dahmm fine eating. as a teenager we used to go giggin every weekend. also try catching some of the crawdads in lower drainage ditches really good eatin there as well.

10. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    we always gigged frogs from the bank, along canals and resevoirs. they tend to stay along the shore closer to brush and cover. all you need is a long light pole with the gig on it and someone to hold the light for you.

11. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    outstanding advice fellas. i am definitely going to gig some frogs over the next couple of weeks. i love me them cajun style frog legs, so i am going to do my best to cook some up. regarding the crayfish . . . i recently bought a really nice trap and i am going to try to get some where the east highline comes off the AAC. i have fished that a couple of times, and i am thinking the rocks along the edge would be prime crayfish territory.

god would i love to have a local source to catch edible crayfish . . . i am tired of having to hassle my buddies from texas to fly 'em out here.

12. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    one last thing, i heard that some frogs are edible and some arent. anyone have a clue how to tell the difference?

13. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I doubt you're gonna find any poison frogs along the river or canals. Just learn to tell the difference between a frog and a toad.
    Other than what you've already been advised, I would add that tying a very small piece of red cloth on your frog Gig seems to help keep from spooking the frogs. I guess they think it's a bug flying near them and they will sit still for it to come near.

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    guess you could watch out for the horny toads. :wink: couldn't resist that remark. i've never heard of a poisonest frogs on canals or river either. just the noisy bullfrogs. saw one last yr that i bet had legs 15 inches on it. biggest i'd ever seen around here.
    gary

15. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    In my experience along the canals. When the frogs are going nuts then so are the fish. Get yourself a small casting bubble. Put it about two foot up on your fishing line to make a leader. Cut a piece of red flannel thats flat on one end and a Vee on the other. I'd imagine that the Vee is supposed to resemble frog legs? Tie it on the end of your line.Cast up and down the bank lightly jerking the flannel sorta like you'd work a plug,. The frogs will grab it and not let go. Reel em up close and gig em. A frog will eat anything that it can swallow. When I was a kid living in Arkansas they'd come out on the side walk to catch bugs under the neon lights of my grannies cafe. I'd roll BB's in front of them. They'd eat BB's till they couldnt hop