The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IV dedicated my life to catch only the giants , 30 ,40s and 50s anyone can b proud of...but that's not what I'm after , the giants eat 2 pound carp and will pull drag off any reel .. that's why I depend on the best and experience has taught me that abu garcia is a reel that last a life time and only one I'm using ! IV TALKED 2 THE ENGINERS THAT BUILT ABU AND THE 7000 SERIES REEELS AND THEY SAID THE 7000 HAVE THE BEST CLUTHES AND DRAG OF ANY THATS BEEN BUILT , EVEN THE DRAG IS MUCH LOUDER TO ESTABLISH A STRIKE !! Let's face it the giants eat at night not during the day so we need everything the reel has to offer , great sound alarm great drag and most of .all after you hook the fish of your dreams you want to land it ,

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wow after that rousing, informative post.. I am sold, 7000s are the reel for me!! But now I am faced with a conundrum.. is it morally acceptable to sell my Penn Fathoms and Okuma Komodos to fund the purchase of the holy grail Abu 7000 reels? I am not sure I can sell such inferior reels to fellow catfishermen for my own selfish desires. I thought I would ask here before seeking professional help. Or do such selfish urges require a trip to the confessional?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I feel your pain. I guess everybody's. Chilly, I guess if you mention that you are working towards the best of the best and maybe that those that you are letting go would work well for those just starting out.........

Awwww I can't finish. I have several 7000s and do like them. But my hearts leans toward the 6500c3. Maybe because it is small, maybe because it is just plain cute. It will do much more than folks give it credit for.

But then I have a few Penn Fathoms. They work well also but tend to cost a little more. They will not engage when you turn the handle but even the multitudes can learn to physically engage the gears after a few months of use.

What is the answer????

Beauty in in the beholder.

What should you do????

Keep the reels of choice BUT put the big cats back.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I feel your pain. I guess everybody's. Chilly, I guess if you mention that you are working towards the best of the best and maybe that those that you are letting go would work well for those just starting out.........

Awwww I can't finish. I have several 7000s and do like them. But my hearts leans toward the 6500c3. Maybe because it is small, maybe because it is just plain cute. It will do much more than folks give it credit for.

But then I have a few Penn Fathoms. They work well also but tend to cost a little more. They will not engage when you turn the handle but even the multitudes can learn to physically engage the gears after a few months of use.

What is the answer????

Beauty in in the beholder.

What should you do????

Keep the reels of choice BUT put the big cats back.

Yep....I gotta agree, I am a 6500c3 fan as well. I have lots of other reels but there is just something about those reels I really like and enjoy using. Maybe it is the simplicity and dependability.

I guess I am a loser in OP's eyes...I want a higher retrieve rate and the 7000's just don't click that box for me. The Calcutta 700B is a little faster, but not much. 7000c3 has 20 pounds of drag, Calcutta has 16.5#...which is why I haven't bought one yet.

It's great to see someone really into the sport and really liking their gear...for me? I am always looking for the perfect set up and I haven't found it yet...which is why I have lots of rods and reels but the 6500c3 comes pretty close

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep....I gotta agree, I am a 6500c3 fan as well. I have lots of other reels but there is just something about those reels I really like and enjoy using. Maybe it is the simplicity and dependability.

I guess I am a loser in OP's eyes...I want a higher retrieve rate and the 7000's just don't click that box for me. The Calcutta 700B is a little faster, but not much. 7000c3 has 20 pounds of drag, Calcutta has 16.5#...which is why I haven't bought one yet.

It's great to see someone really into the sport and really liking their gear...for me? I am always looking for the perfect set up and I haven't found it yet...which is why I have lots of rods and reels but the 6500c3 comes pretty close
I love the 6500s and fully understand how easy they r 2 handle . When I'm looking for giant muskie I use the 6500s bc of that . Theres nothing better then a 7 1/2 MO JO EX HEAVY FAST ACTION ROD paired w 7000s to handle anything n fresh water..... great reasons to keep 6500s for your collection through life .
Calcutta owns shimonoe and there made much cheaper w more plastic-, not metal.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I love the 6500s and fully understand how easy they r 2 handle . When I'm looking for giant muskie I use the 6500s bc of that . Theres nothing better then a 7 1/2 MO JO EX HEAVY FAST ACTION ROD paired w 7000s to handle anything n fresh water..... great reasons to keep 6500s for your collection through life .
Calcutta owns shimonoe and there made much cheaper w more plastic-, not metal.
well ok

the abu garcia 7000c3 generally goes for around 170 bucks...the rocket for about 10 bucks more....it varies

The shimano 700B is around 300-ish....there is a reason for that price difference

if you want to stand there and say the abu 7000 is better than a shimano....well...you can do that....and we will all laugh at you

not even in the same ballpark pal

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
914 Posts
The great thing about the abu's is the ease of getting parts, and repairing them yourself. If you want to upgrade, there is no other reel that can be upgraded like the abu's either. Is it the best reel on the market, I dont think so. However I have fished all around the country for big cats, and for the money, I will stick with them. To each their own.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
There are a lot of reels I have never tried. That includes all the low profile heavy duty reels I hear mentioned on here. Many of those were being used by bottom bouncers so there was a lot more hands on.

It really does't matter. We each get to pick the reel we like. I will not laugh at anyone because they like a different reel the I do. That is their choice. Just look at it as a choice there is nothing personal about it.

If we don't get along, don't ask to fish in my boat because it probably won't happen..

If you like a different reel than I do. Good luck, I hope you catch a bigun.

tight lines

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think that if you really like whatever reel you're using and its doing exactly what you want it to do then it is indeed the best reel on the market....... for you. Comparing reels is a tricky thing, no 2 hook ups are exactly the same. A lot of variables in every catch. I also think that being passionate about what you like is good too. Most importantly whatever you use should give you confidence if it does its a good piece of gear in YOUR HANDS. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well ok

the abu garcia 7000c3 generally goes for around 170 bucks...the rocket for about 10 bucks more....it varies

The shimano 700B is around 300-ish....there is a reason for that price difference

if you want to stand there and say the abu 7000 is better than a shimano....well...you can do that....and we will all laugh at you

not even in the same ballpark pal
Shimano is a great reel and I never go fishing without um but if you haven't taken any of them apart then all you have done is give lots of money away for the name bc they do have plastic parts not like other reels and be very limited w how you laugh at someone you no nothing about.. I'm an OLD SCHOOL MAN trying to b honest and sincere but don't disrespect me

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
820 Posts
First off, welcome to the board dick.

This is an old argument around here that will never end. Why? Because there is no perfect fishing reel. People fish different bodies of water. From the bank and from a boat. Often requires different equipment for different situations.

As far as being disrespected. You pretty much disrespected everyone that dosent fish with a abu 7000. (typing in all caps is considered yelling on the net)

You would get alot farther with. These are the perfect reels for "me" and this is why.

Reactions: D schuerenberg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

This is an old argument around here that will never end. Why? Because there is no perfect fishing reel. People fish different bodies of water. From the bank and from a boat. Often requires different equipment for different situations.

As far as being disrespected. You pretty much disrespected everyone that dosent fish with a abu 7000. (typing in all caps is considered yelling on the net)

You would get alot farther with. These are the perfect reels for "me" and this is why.

I never once made that statement that the best was abu Garcia 7000 , I own the Calcutta and shimano and I was discussing fishing for flatheads while using the 7000 .it wasn't until I was disrespected ( first) that's what got the CAPS n and ur right I wanted it heard , bc of what was sent .

[/QU2OTE]

I app your attitude . I never thought that men was so uptight bout there reels .

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,384 Posts
Welcome Dick, lots of good info and guys here.

Not to derail this thread but I was curious if you do use large live bait, if you would go into alittle detail about how you rig up 2 lb carp or any large live bait. One hook or two hook rig? Lob it out or let it swim out? Do you use weights to try and pen it down or let it freeline? I have used 2 lb live baits before, its definitely different ballgame then using smaller baits.

When I tried I would use a 2 hook rig with an 8 oz weight and would lob it. Since then I have come up with different tactics Ive been playing with in my head and am going to try this season. I just recently got a boat so I think I can really "place" them where I want them.

Anyways welcome again, hope to learn something from you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never once made that statement that the best was abu Garcia 7000 , I own the Calcutta and shimano and I was discussing fishing for flatheads while using the 7000 .it wasn't until I was disrespected ( first) that's what got the CAPS n and ur right I wanted it heard , bc of what was sent .

I app your attitude . I never thought that men was so uptight bout there reels .
BTW
Welcome Dick, lots of good info and guys here.

Not to derail this thread but I was curious if you do use large live bait, if you would go into alittle detail about how you rig up 2 lb carp or any large live bait. One hook or two hook rig? Lob it out or let it swim out? Do you use weights to try and pen it down or let it freeline? I have used 2 lb live baits before, its definitely different ballgame then using smaller baits.

When I tried I would use a 2 hook rig with an 8 oz weight and would lob it. Since then I have come up with different tactics Ive been playing with in my head and am going to try this season. I just recently got a boat so I think I can really "place" them where I want them.

Anyways welcome again, hope to learn something from you.
N the 1990s the INFISHERMAN AND LINDER BROTHERS started that same magazine called the catfish insider that would help anyone and they all can b ordered online still . When using large live bait at least 1- 2 even 3 lbs its necessary,, or let me say I use big river 10- 12 -14 alt hooks . Iv lost alot of giants bc iv not used 2 hooks when I really needed 2 hooks,, but bc I want the bait as lively as it can b...there times I run a single hook right through the lips but the hook always big enough but no-one really knows the way each giant takes the bait bc sometimes itl will strike at the tail end , it's real hard for anyone not to get excited and set hook to soon . That's why experience has taught me if I want to catch the ones I want then yes 2 hooks every bait . The patermost rig as far am I'm concerned will put giants n all the boats or on the shore . You should do yourself a favor and ask the nothcarliner state flathead and blue cat current holder bc he floats the biggest baits he can under I liter bottles that break away after hook is set. I hope this will help you . My father always took me but only at night and only for the big fish and it wasn't always fun bc dad didnt allow no talking or moving around period . Yes I love using a boat to place big baits over rocks and structure but I'm litlle older at this time n my life I'm doing the same -on shore w my boys but I allow talking but very low lol .. see it's not the reels will use but the determination we all have to succeed n what your heart loves 2 do . Hope this helps b

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW

N the 1990s the INFISHERMAN AND LINDER BROTHERS started that same magazine called the catfish insider that would help anyone and they all can b ordered online still . When using large live bait at least 1- 2 even 3 lbs its necessary,, or let me say I use big river 10- 12 -14 alt hooks . Iv lost alot of giants bc iv not used 2 hooks when I really needed 2 hooks,, but bc I want the bait as lively as it can b...there times I run a single hook right through the lips but the hook always big enough but no-one really knows the way each giant takes the bait bc sometimes itl will strike at the tail end , it's real hard for anyone not to get excited and set hook to soon . That's why experience has taught me if I want to catch the ones I want then yes 2 hooks every bait . The patermost rig as far am I'm concerned will put giants n all the boats or on the shore . You should do yourself a favor and ask the nothcarliner state flathead and blue cat current holder bc he floats the biggest baits he can under I liter bottles that break away after hook is set. I hope this will help you . My father always took me but only at night and only for the big fish and it wasn't always fun bc dad didnt allow no talking or moving around period . Yes I love using a boat to place big baits over rocks and structure but I'm litlle older at this time n my life I'm doing the same -on shore w my boys but I allow talking but very low lol .. see it's not the reels will use but the determination we all have to succeed n what your heart loves 2 do . Hope this helps b
1 more thing concerning 2 lb carp bc as I grew up fishing w my father we would always clean and eat the fish even the big ones . Every giant flathead stomach would b full of huge leaves that had fell out of trees and had been up n big long jams where the big carp would feed .. it took years of listening and cleaning big fish to understand that big fish really the biggest ones feed near the bank on those big carp that feeds off the the surface of the water where the ( leaves) up close next to bank... I never harvest any big fish now , but back then as a young man growing up I did and it taught me lots about a fish diet ..

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
820 Posts
I feel like i have lost several very large flatheads. The rod would go down strong. Then there would be no hook up. When I reeled in a hand size bream. Its crushed just behind the gills. You can even see where the teeth removed some scales. Next time i use a big one. Ill take the time too tie a double hook rig and try it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel like i have lost several very large flatheads. The rod would go down strong. Then there would be no hook up. When I reeled in a hand size bream. Its crushed just behind the gills. You can even see where the teeth removed some scales. Next time i use a big one. Ill take the time too tie a double hook rig and try it.
Through experience that type of strike isn't always big flatheads bc it would of taken the hand size brim I feel unless it was just bad cat temperament. Usually big flatheads takes the bait so soft it's very hard sometimes to detect a strike bc (its like this) most time the flathead inhales the bait then just lays there .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts