Giant Squid picture

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Catfish Fever, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Found an article from our local daily rag about Giant Squid. It has a picture and explanation of how/where it was caught. Figured it'd be appropriate here, even though it's not a fish. I thought it was very interesting, here is a link to an article about it

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/09/27/japan.squid.ap/

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats pretty cool jim. ive always heard that they had never been filmed in thier natural habitat. guess this is a remarkable breakthrough. they are rare and either wash up dead or something. they finally found one and got it on film. be looking forward to seeing it on discovery. sure it won'y be long. :)

3. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Awesome article jim always wanted to see one alive, imagine 25 ft arms coming at you.

4. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Neat article. By chance, I saw a special on Discovery Channel the other night where a guy was diving in the Bay of Biscay I think with Big (but nowhere near Giant) Squid. These had bodies that were about 4-6 ft long, plus the tentacles. The guy had to have a special home-made suit of diving armour, as the squid had some sharp "horns" they were hitting him with, and they were VERY aggressive. I'd love to have a catfish, or any fish, hit my bait the way they were hitting him. The program also said that these dudes started out at less than an inch long, and grew to this size in a year, which was they're approximate life span. They estimated that this would be equivalent to a human going from baby sized to the size of a blue whale (about 100 ft) in a year.
    And I thought I had an eating problem! ;)

5. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Good stuff Jim,
    Read the news this morning on CNN AM. They had a camera above some bait and they said the Giant was very aggressive to the point of tangeling up one of it tentacles and loosing it. I don't know if I'd give up an arm for my supper, but I've never been that hungry. Gives a new meaning to the word Aggressive! Thanks

6. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Goog post! I saw something in the NYTIMES the other day about this. Its the first time one has ever been recorded. Pretty cool looking things aren't they!

7. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    great post. I have read a lot about the giant squids, It is awsome that they finally have one on film.

-Brian

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks, glad y'all enjoyed it.

9. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i also saw the fil of the large squid the guys were diving with and that was awesome but now i can only imagine one 5 time bigger. yea discovery also had the one where they found the juvinile giant squid, i always enjoyed watching the shows on discovery.

10. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Excellent post that was really cool. Ive allways wanted to see one alive thats about as close as i really want to get.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    After seeing that, I've got second thoughts about using squid for bait anymore, never know what could show up in Milford Lake :eek: LOL