Giant pond catfish!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dylan543, Jun 8, 2007.

1. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just the other day I was out at my neighbors pond.It is 25 1/2 years old.So I went out just after it had rained i casted my mantis fishing pole with 20 pound line off the dock.I waited 5 minutes and boom my fishing pole goes sliding down the dock.So I tired the kat out and brought him up to shore.It was a 14 pound 2foot 2inche flathead.My biggest flat yet out of a pond.I am dieing to catch me an even bigger one.I predict that kat was only 5 to 4 years old i can't wait to catch a monster one!!

If any of you have any types on me catching the kats it would be much apreciated. Also if you have any helpful types or just want to chat about you pond kats exsperiences!!

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great catch! nice to catch that good of a fish out of a pond. My advice is just keep fishing and trin new spots, but a dock in a pond is like gold. They just always seem to hold and bring in the fish. Try big lively baits, that will weed out any smaller fish.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dylan your the man. Nice catch. You don't need any help you got it figured out. You might want to use some type of rod holder so that the monster cat don"t steal your rod.:lol::big_smile:

4. Brian Wheeler

Brian Wheeler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Gonna be hittin some farm ponds which are pretty old in Indiana tomorrow,and hopefully we will have the same luck as you.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice catch man, where is this pond located?? :cool2:

6. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    Sounds like a good catch man, but if there are flatheads in a pond, odds are that the fish population isnt to well from what ive read on it, they eat everything up.

7. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    try juggin...its not as exciting as reeling 1 in but its still exciting to see whats on the other end.....

8. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The pond is located in continental ohio a small town lol

9. King Cat Assasin

King Cat Assasin New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try the rod holders they work great. My buddies and i made some and weve caught cats over 15lbs. on them. The only thing you have to wacth is that the pole will bend pretty good when you have a big one on so take it easy setting the hook. I broke a rod this past weekend. I have also found out in farm ponds the cats get real scared of the jugs after the second or third time using them. Good luck.

10. flathead jack

flathead jack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Juggin is great for cats. We went turtle juggin thru some farmponds and got 11 cats up to 6 pounds.
    used exspired stew meat and they'll go to the bank and get em'

also got a 40 pound snapper:eek:oooh: it ait 2 juggs baits

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you were'nt using a live or cut gill for bait, next time try both. The cut will catch the larger channels and big live gills will snare more flatheads. Fish near the submerged weeds around the bank a couple hrs before and after sunset/rise. And try to keep the noise and stomping around the bank to a minimum, The largest fish are wary of those.