Giant Lau Lau

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mark J, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Just watched Larry Dahlberg on one of his fishing adventures in South America targeting Lau Lau.
    He caught a monster. They couldnt attempt to weigh a catfish that big as he had to be 8 feet long. Huge catfish.
    I've never heard of them before.

He also caught some nice red tail catfish that would be an American sized trophy.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hunt For Big Fish hosted by Larry Dahlberg is the best fishing show on TV period!

He goes to crazy places all over the world and catches, weird yet big fish.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    When I become rich I'm heading to the Amazon River to catch some of those monster Catfish! :wink: :big_smile:

4. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I was lucky enough to catch that episode...that Lau Lau was a freakin' monster. I also think that the show is one of the best ones on TV. They do not do much advertising (except for the obligatory shot of him eating and sharing beef jerky, lol) and they have a lot of shots of him fishing. Did you guys catch the episode where he was in his workshop? He was making all kinds of crazy lures out of just about anything imaginable. It was pretty cool.:cool2:

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree that it's the most fun fishing show on - I get SO tired of watching the same guys catch the same 2 poiund largemouths over and over and over...

That show with the giant Lau lau - I was just amazed by the abuse that rod took. I was watching expecting the rod to explode at any minute! He had that thing bent over way past double...

Not 100% certain, but I think that was a Shimano Trevala rod. Those things look like they would be one heck of a good heavy cat rod, but for around $150 they are a bit out of my price range.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You know, I bet that trip wouldnt be too expensive either.:wink:

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree, if u go down there & then just decide to go fishing!!!I'm sure u can find someone to show around down there!!!!

8. fishing bum

fishing bum New Member

State:
    Victoria Texas
    Mark I think i saw tha show you are talking about. Man what a hog. I would not know how to act if I ever hooked up an a hog like that one.

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    THanks for the info it must of been a huge cat

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Under $2500 bucks.

A plane ticket to Puerto Rico is around $400. Ferry to Suriname about $100. I'm sure with about $2000 American dollars, you can find a knowlegable local fisherman that can take you to these spots for dirt cheap.

11. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    You forgot to mention what channel it comes on. I saw that 9 foot 640 lb mekong giant being caught though it took 6 or 7 men and a sein the entire width or the mekong river in thailand.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    National Geographic Channel (Direct TV channel 276).

The show was called Hooked Monster Fish.
    It also tells the story of the world record blue from Alton, IL.