Giant Horseshoe Thingies on the Mississippi

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by GaryF, Aug 22, 2009.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    OK, down around the 130 mile mark, about 20 miles below Plattin Rock, I see some horseshoe shaped structures on the river. Just has my curiosity up, does anyone know what these are?

Attached Files:

2. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    never seen anything like that before......

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    UFO! Unidentified Floating Object.:eek:oooh::smile2:
    Seriously, I have no idea. Maybe a place to provide a current break for boats? Or just a weird shaped bridge pylon?:embarassed:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Looks like a good place for catfish to hold or tie up to it and fish the channel break.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    • Chevron: Chevrons are horse-shoe or arch-shaped structures placed in a river, off the bank. The open end of the arch faces downstream, with its crown or arch facing upstream against the river’s flow. They may be visible at lower river stages but are submerged at higher stages, including during floods. In addition to direction flow and energy to either side to improve navigation, they also create a wide range of aquatic habitats. They are particularly useful for reducing point sedimentation and thus, requirements for dredging.
      Uses: Chevrons improve safety and efficiency of navigation, reduce dredging and provide aquatic habitats. ​
    [​IMG]

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I would guess something put there to test how they would hold up in the river ,but if you can find out what they are please let us know ,thanks

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Thanks Skip! I had heard talk of chevrons before, but didn't really have a clue what shape they took.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    SKIPEYE thanks for the info ,i can see where they would do that good ,just never saw anything like that before :wink:

in other words a fancy breakwater

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  9. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    They seem to work, I don't see a sandbar on the following end of the Island like you see up this way.

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    should be a fine place for some hogs to hide!! but i shure wouldnt want to find them with my lower unit when the water gets over them!!!!:confused2:

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Thanks for sharing. Reps on their way.:wink:

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    LOL, the ones Gary put up there have a rock on them that has a nice mark left by mine.

13. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are making some of them just south of the Meramec right now. I've done pretty good fishing the channel side of the ones south of Truman. Skip eye thanks for the info. I had no clue what they were for.

14. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    There are four of those horseshoe shaped dikes here on pool 25... been there many years now, one at the lower end, one at the upper and two close by each other in the pattern like in the picture... the lower one has formed like it's own island at it's tail with trees growing on it now :smile2:... they're ok spots to catch bait.

15. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    swamp and ryan showed me those at the dollar tourney they are pretty neat

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    They make great wintering areas for the blues, unfortunately the gill netters have figured that out. Not too many there in the winters anymore.

17. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    :angry::angry::angry: