Giant gar

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by poopdeck [patrick], Jun 26, 2006.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
  2. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    wow i didnt know they got that big

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    What a shame to kill such an old fish.

Glad to see that many areas are protecting the giant alligator gar from harvest.

4. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    No, not a shame at all.

A legal, legimate harvest of a trophy Aligator gar with archery equipment.

Robert

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

I agree w/ you. That is my personal opinon, however with that being said, it was 100% legal, so they did nothing wrong. I guess it's just a difference of opinon or a difference of moral views.

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    bowfishing seems like a blast but........what do you do with the gar/carp after you shoot them?????

7. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    What you do with the fish is a personal choice and depends on the area where you took him.

I know of waters here in Arkansas that have basically nothing but carp and gar in them. They simply over took all the other fish.

I haven't had the opportunity to take a big gator gar but I understand they are excellent for the table but most gar are simply discarded.

Carp can be eaten, used for pig feed or used in the garden for fertilizer.
    But generally in this area, gar and carp are considered like mosquitoes.

You swat them. Some people will disagree and some not understand and that is fine. Oppinions do vary.

Robert

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My biggest problem with bowhunting of gar is that a lot of them are dumped or buried in fields for fertilizer. I know it is legal in many places, and hopefully this was a legal harvest, but I was just always raised to utilize what you take from the wild. It must be the indian in me or something.

I hunt and fish. Everything I hunt is killed, there is no shoot and release, but everything killed goes to the freezer. It has been months since we bought beef in the store, because it has been replaced by deer meat in our meals. I keep some fish, but about 99% of them are released.

I totally respect the archery ability it takes to shoot a fish. Taking into account the refraction of light, aiming at empty water, and then hitting a fish takes some major skill. I have a hard enought time aiming at hair on a deer and hitting it!!! I just wish that more of the fish were not wasted.

My biggest concern is the eradication of these monster fish. It is the same thing that happened to sharks. They were prized because of their size, and thousands of them were caught, strung up, photographed with smiling anglers, and in many cases dumped somewhere and never conssumed. This led to the harvest restrictions on many species of sharks that we have today. Our DNR officials are typically reactive instead of being proactive.

Hopefully some restrictions will be implemented before the large fish are all killed, that way some young anglers will have the chance to do battle with one of these monsters.

9. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I am not doubting the legality of the harvest, and will have to give the benefit of the doubt as to the use of the fish.

Please remember that it was perfectly legal to nearly eradicate the bison from the plains of our country, perfectly legal to fish the cod into near oblivion, etc.

Just because something is legal doesn't automatically make it a good idea, I mean abortion is legal isn't it?

This is not an attack on any person/group/philosophy, just a request that we all remember that we have a responsibility to our God, ourselves, and our children to wisely shepard the resources we have been given.

PS - I like to EAT catfish, venison, buffalo, turkey, etc.

10. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    You guys state valid points and anyone that argues with the true must be a lawyer.

Each person, whether they hunt, fish or are anti, value wild life in different ways. But I will argue this point until blue in the face, "NO REGULATED SPORT FISHING OR HUNTING EVER CAUSED THE DEMISE OF WILDLIFE".

It is sportsmen and women that have the ultimate responsibility of managing wildlife and that are responsible for the come back of several species.

Here in Arkansas, action has been taken to protect fish and game. The gator gar for example, is now a sport fish. The limit is two per day and seasons have been set for bowfishing. "Wanton waste" of game is a crime here and most other places.

Here is a some questions to consider. When a bird hunter kills a bird and only eats the breast, is he a criminal? He doesn't consider the legs, back, liver and gizard etible but some people do.

When a shell fisherman harvest the shell from clams or mussels and disgards the insides. Is he a criminal? His business is shells.

When a farmer sprays his crops to kill the weeds, is he a criminal? The quail have no weed seeds to eat and die off and are nearly extinct in some areas.

When a deer hunter kills a deer and leaves the liver, heart and kidneys in the woods, is he a criminal? To me, deer liver is the best liver to eat. Some people hate liver and think it has no value.

Waste is sometimes hard to define. If I stick a carp and throw it back into the water, every turtle, crayfish and snake around come to feast on it.

When a guy takes a 200# gar out of a hole, all the small fish that would have been eaten, get a chance to grow and multiply.

I have read a lot on game management and know that for some to live, some must die. I personally have seen game over populated and I don't like it. Since the "anti fur" movement, I have seen the number of road kill animals increase.

I have read of cities that now have deer seasons "in town" to try to fix over population problems. I have personally seen an increase in the number of "deer crossing" signs being put up because of car hits.

It appears the "I" am saying I a lot. but that is because my opinion stims from personal experiences.

There is no arguement that for the animal that was killed it was a violent end. But, when you start looking at individual animals, you loose sight of the big picture.

each of us have our opinions and that is a good thing. The problems come about when those opinions cause us to seperate. Divide and concur is an excellent strategy for any advosary.

Ecspecially anti groups. Just my opinion though.

Robert

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I believe if you kill it you grill it, if not then let it live.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am impressed, props to all the members here, usually these threads get NASTY real quick. I am glad to see this one is civil. There are been some GREAT opinons shared on this thread. Way to go veryone. +Rep to all involved

13. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    I don't know what happened to the fish. But the why I was raised if you kill you need to eat it.

14. ahoki

ahoki New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Most of the Gar (no matter the kind) in oklahoma are caught by accident. I dont know how it is in S.C. but gar are everywhere in oklahoma. If ya ask me there are too many of them. I cant tell you how many times I've walked a dam or bank and seen a 4' to 6' alligator gar up sunning in the shallows. The only folks I know that actively go after them are archery sport gamers.

I agree that if ya shoot it ya should either eat it or cut it up to catch other fish. Theres nothing wrong with using them for bait, but I have never understood people who kill JUST for the sport. If ya have ever wrestled one of these bad boys into the boat you know that those guys had to be hardcore, cuz those are the slimy-est stinky-est fish to have to manhandle, and they usually dont come quietly. To tell ya the truth, I woulda cut that big bastard loose the second he surfaced.

I highly doubt any of this will have an effect on their survival. If ya have seen one face to face, You know them suckers have been here for millions of years.

Happy fishing everyone!​

15. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I used to pole-fish for gar in the brackish waters south of Houston. We'd catch 'em up to 90lbs, and always sold them to the local fish markets for profit. I'm not sure how legal that is, but they did not go to waste. We also never caught more than five a night between three people. If we didn't sell them we would've released them, though.

16. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't mind catching fish that big, I have the bother of small bream pecking my bait off.