Giant Flathead Catfish!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by lawnman61, Feb 20, 2006.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I was talking with a friend of mine last night and he lives in Granbury, Tx. and he is a scuba diver and takes pics of fish underwater, he doesn't go fishing but he said he has some pics of some flathead catfish out there in Granbury lake that are big enough to swallow a man whole. I can't wait to see those pics. For those of you who don't know Lake Granbury, it is part of the Brazos river.
    If he sends me those pics I will be putting them on the BOC for all to see.
    Can you imagine hooking into one of that size ? Makes you wonder how old one that size would be.

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I have heard 'rumors' of flatheads in this area as well. Supposedly divers went down and found some the size of small trucks, stuck under rocks or inbetween them or whatever. Anyways I would love to see a pic of one of these beasts. I think you will find the diver story is a very common story amongst fishermen.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would imagine it would take a catfish of at least 1000-lbs to swallow a man whole?

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think a rough rule is that a flathead can eat a bait 25% of it's bodyweight. So for a 250lb man, it would take a 1000lb catfish. ;)

5. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Just like Sangamon said, the dive story has been floating around for years. I have been a certified diver for 16 years and have never come across one that could swollow me whole. I am not saying that they are not down there just cause I have not seen them. I have seen some very big fish so it very well could be possible.

6. strider

strider New Member

State:
    Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
    Just think what havoc could be wreaked on the fishery if spearfishing for these fish was allowed. P.S.: I don't believe the "swallow a man" story either, unless a wels or a Mekong River cat happened to find it's way into Lake Granbury, and even then it would have to be one of unprecedented size.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Get them pictures on here and make believers out of us. Everyone has heard the diver stories but photos would give credibility to them.

8. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have yall ever heard of the stories of the catfish at Hoover Dam. They say they are the size of volkswagon beatles.

the dude on vegas vacation, "any one know where i can get some dam bait?":happ-big:

9. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've heard basically the same story twice here in Kentucky - below Kentucky Dam on the Tennessee River and below Rochester on the Green River. I have seen no proof that they exist, but just because I have not seen these fish does not mean they are not there. I also have not seen the Loch Ness Monster ot Bigfoot, but that does not mean they don't exist. Have a nice day.

Myname

10. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've heard that story many times, but if someone could prove it that would be cool.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    man i cant wait to see those pictures. But could you imagine hooking into a flathead that could eat you.

12. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have heard the same story like that of Fishtrap Lake here in Eastern Kentucky. I would love to see some pics so get him to send those! That would be awesome to see one like that.

13. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    would love to see pics have heard story many times my uncle is a diver always wonder why there are so many divers.

14. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Man, I tell you what, I have heard that story since I was 5 years old. My dad actually DID work at old dam 50 on the ohio river. They told everybody that story. The only way I will ever believe it is to see some legitimate pictures.

15. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    It never fails that a drunk at the lake or an ol' timer tells me that story of the diver dam and catfish at least 2-3 times a year. I just smile and oh yeah. I wonder if that one has been on myth busters yet.

16. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I know what you mean, I've heard that tale for many years also but I know this guy pretty good and am waiting to see those pics for myself. Out by Lake Granbury is also a Dinosaur Park with dinosaur prints everywhere so that lake has to be pretty old and could very well have a sub spiecies of a prehistoric flathead. I didn't mean to get evrybody all stirred up with the wrong idea but the proof would be in the pics.

17. flannelman

flannelman New Member

ive heard diver stories like that about lakes around here but instead of catfish, they saw tiger musky over 4 feet long. ive been tryin for some time to catch one of them but cant seem to find them. thats godda be one heck of a fight

18. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have heard that story about every major lake and dam in the state! the real funny thing is though, thats one of the reasons i became such a die hard catman in the first place. the mystery of the unknown.

19. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The In Fisherman Mag crew has a fellow that is a diver and he is currently scouting out places to try to find out if this is fact or fiction sometime in the next year or so. I dont know if it will come out in their regular mag. or the Catfish Guide next year,I will ask My buddy that talks to Hoffman all the time and find out and post up the details.

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have heard that too.
    I'm going to take a chance & say that there will be ZERO 1000 # Cats pulled out of any US Waters. (That is native Catfish) I would love to see a cat big enough to eat a man, but I just dont think it can happen here in the US.