giant dogfish

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by thenightstalker, Aug 24, 2009.

1. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    i havent had a whole lot of time this year to do some fishing. so i figured out that i could fish while doing all that work. a made me a few trot lines and put them out on a little lake near lake wawasee. not once did i catch a single catfish, but i did pull in some MONSTER dogfish. i dont have any pics, but i figure id tell ya how i build my trots, and how i discovered this truley awesome fish.

most people make trots in shallow to mid depth waters, making them horizontally. well i chose to make a trot that went deep. vertically

i took a long nylon rope and tied on an old window weight to one end. at the other end, i tied a five gallon water jug. about every 3 feet i made a runner with a circle hook. i baited up with gills, and dropped them around the deep holes.

huge dogfish, and i mean HUGE!

unfortunatly no cats,but im just trying to share my idea. i hope that someone out there will try it and let me know how they do. its simple and fast to do. and for me it was absolutly fun.

2. Stemwinder

Stemwinder New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds great....

How huge? Approx?

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes, inquiring minds want to know Zach.lol

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  5. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man it has been along time since i have even seen a dogfish let alone catch one myself. i was a kid then and i remmeber them being kinda mean looking.

6. j-catfish

j-catfish New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if i'm thinking right these dogfish are also known as bowfins, and me and my brother in law have been catching them like crazy this summer. my catfishing hasnt been so hot this year but the bowfins have been great. I dont have pics but the biggest we weight was #10 and 37 " long but have had several in the 30 to 34" range and on a rod and reel they are a great fight