Giant Catfish.

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by nightwing, Jun 26, 2006.

1. nightwing

nightwing New Member

State:
    Michigan
    One of the thing's I've often wondered, is just why Michigan's record catfish are all so much smaller then surrounding states(well...flatheads, at least). I really have to belive that fish are here every bit as large as those in all the surrounding states. Just can't belive no one's even broken 50 lbs yet.
    Anyway...any thoghts?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe the colder waters thus shorter growing seasons? Just a thought.

3. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Maybe so its easier for YOU to break the record :big_smile:

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That would be my guess. I also think that Michigan is not as heavily Flathead fished as Ohio.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The water in your state gets cold faster and warms slower than it does in the south, and flatheads go into a dormant state in water below 55 degrees. This makes for a very short feeding and spawning time for them.

Short growth season, like Flathunter said!!!

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I'm sure the Michigan growing season is shorter than Ohio on down, but that can't be the only factor.
    Michigan is balmy compared to Minnesota & Wisconsin, and their records are both 20+ pounds higher.
    We just don't have as much of the prime river habitat many other states do, that's my theory anyway.
    Good fishing!!
    Tony

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I think the only way to know for sure is to test these MI flatties genetically against the gene pool of those in the missouri rivers, and then test the inland river flatheads of WI and MN against those in the non-connected waters of those big southbound rivers.

Only then will we know if they can get that big and then whether michigan just does not fish their flatheads enough or overfishes the smaller ones.

Sal

8. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just wish I could catch one over 2lbs:lol:

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Good point there, Sal-
    flatheads are very vulnerable to overfishing, and if it takes 20 years to grow a 30# fish- and only one night to kill a dozen or so of them, that would explain why they never get a chance to "grow up".
    The attitude towards big cats has got to change among the masses.
    Little ones taste better anyway.

10. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I bet the biguns (over 75 lbs) keep eatin the littleuns( under 75 lbs):roll_eyes:

11. nightwing

nightwing New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks for the imput.
    Tony and I have talked about this before(Tony, this is Paul, from Gander, BTW).
    I don't think it's a weather thing for the reasons stated...Michigan is no colder then Wisconsin, Minnesota, or the Dakotas..and all have larger fish.
    I really wonder if it's a matter of limited habitat, and overkilling of smaller fish, as mentioned here.

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Hey Paul,
    Welcome to the BOC. I think I'm supposed to get points or something for getting you to sign up.
    I spent a winter in Wisconsin once, and its WAY colder than MI, and Minnesota is colder yet!
    Power Pro is great line, BTW, doesn't burrow into the spool like some braids. Still not as abrasion resistant as heavy mono, though, hence the shock leader.
    I know you can catch carp, now, let's see you catch some cats!
    Tony

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Welcome to the BOC Paul. If you need help with a profile pic just let me know.

Personally I think it also has to do with forage. In the south there are way more fish per square acre than in the north. When you couple that with the other conditions that have been mentioned you are going to get smaller flatheads. Also I think the channels are more tolerable of colder weather and that flatheads are more of a warmwater catfish. However, the growth rate for both is much slower, albeit they live longer.

Here's one I would like to know: Do any of you guys have luck with stinkbait offerings in Michigan, and why do channels prefer stinkbait when the natural habitat is free of that scent?

14. nightwing

nightwing New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Tony, when I signed up I saw where it asked if I had been sent here by a member..but untill I signed up, I had no idea what handle you used, so could not reference you! If there's a way to change that, I'd be happy to do so.
    I hope to catch some cat's this summer, just have to fit them in somehow.
    (and find a good bank fishing location!)

15. nightwing

nightwing New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks for the offer Victor, I just have not decided what Pic I want yet..some point, I'll come up with a good on and get one up here;).
    As to stink bait vs naturals, my limited catting has always been done with naturals..cut bait, crayfish, shrimp, that sort of thing. I've never used stink baits so just have no real frame of reference. We do sell a bit of it at work, but since I'm in the gun dept., I don't get any feeback on that.

16. nightwing

nightwing New Member

State:
    Michigan
    well..as you can see, I decided on an avatar(at least untill I get a proper one with a cat in it).

17. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Paul, that is a nice carp man! How much did that thing weigh? I want to catch me a forty pounder one day. I bet that thing was running all over the place! LOL!

18. nightwing

nightwing New Member

State:
    Michigan
    That fish went 35.8 on a cheap berkly scale. Later on, I weighed a 25 lb weight plate, and it registered 21 lbs...so the fish may well be heavier then the stated weight.
    No matter, it's a biggun. It's not my largest, but it's the largest I have a photo of(I've taken a couple over 40).
    Here's a better picture.

Attached Files:

19. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Wow, Paul, thats a carp and a half were I come from. As a matter of fact, thats a "Jim Dandy".
    Sparky