Giant catfish in the U.S.A

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by AngilasGuy, Mar 12, 2006.

1. AngilasGuy

AngilasGuy New Member

State:
    WI
    Hey, I've always loved fishin', but I never seriously got into it, I just usually dink around and hang out by water and relax, I know basic fish and stuff, but I am a HUGE fan of large sea creatures.
    I was wondering where I can find a place in the United States where I can catch, or attempt, or even just see a giant catfish, those 4-7 foot ones. I see some in Europe and stuff, but are there any here? I really don't know.
    Also, if any are here, what is the legality of catching one?
    Thankees,

Something like these in the attatchment.

Attached Files:

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To find one of those you'll have to cross a BIG pond! ;)

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well those fish they have over there well they are just huge.around my part i have seen a few flat heads as long as my leg.i was able to land a 40# and he was real close to a legs length. check out the forum called {cat fish big as a person} that i think is the world record flat or someone can post it for him.it want let me since i already got it posted there.

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

If you haven't noticed, the gentleman to the right in the picture is also on the top of the page right here. He is a member of the BOC, and he is holding a Wels catfish.

Ray

5. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    The only US fish approaching those sizes would be alligator gar and pacific sturgeon. I have seen pictures of 250#+ gar and 1200#+ sturgeon, If I remember correctly there are a couple rivers out west that turn out 700#+ sturgeon every year, but they are protected so you can't get accurate weights on them anymore.
    GT

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Well, you may not find any 7 footers here in the US but you can certainly catch a 4 footer. My profile pic was a 4 footer (48"). I can't remember what the Blue Cat world record length was off hand but it would be around 5 feet.

So, there's some big cats here in the US but over 5 feet is going to be tough.

7. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If ya seriously wanta see bigguns, yer gonna hafta 'dink around' a little harder! It don't come easy!

8. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    if there were cats that size here in the states i think the bass will be in trouble. the bass fishermen will all be after the catfish. and all the bass will be pissed at the catfish for it LOL
    therefore starting a fish war

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think our catfish will grow that big, and if they did we will be in trouble.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Their are none in the states that we no of, but that could change anything is possible. Biggest one I have seen in person is 70 lbs.