Giant Carp Threaten Great Lakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BobbyLee, Jan 22, 2010.

1. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Well It Looks like the evasion might happen no matter what actions are taken. Came across this article this morning about Asian Carp. Kinda disappointed with the courts decision as well on this matter. Bunch of dummies if you ask me. Before you know it; we'll have to buy and wear riot gear. To protect us while we're fishing. I've seen the videos of small and medium size ones jumping through the air. But can you imagine a seven foot long 150 pound one jumping, and hitting you like a NFL linebacker. Well here's a link to the article...

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Giant_leaping_Asian_carp_threaten_US_Great_Lakes_999.html

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are plankton eaters, if they get in our rivers they are gonna compete with shad for food, probably destroy the shad population...Then in turn skipjack feed on shad, probably ruin that.

fltahes feed heavy on both, probably ruin the flathead fishing...things dont look good.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hopefully your waters is still safe and will continue to be that way.
    We have those darn things down here and it is getting more dangerous to be out
    in the river ever yr.Forever having to keep an eye open for flying fish.
    Supreme Court is stupid not to want to control this problem. J.M.H.O.
    Sure hope their findings in the lakes are wrong and they haven't invaded that water too.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i agree with everything here but its funny how things work out. I wouldnt be surprised if the flatheads and blues quickly get a taste for asian carp. And with the prolific spawning and small fish everywhere, could we be looking at 200 pound catfish again???:thinking:

5. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I hope that they haven't made it in the great lakes but it is only a matter of time before they do. They are getting over 90 lbs here in Alton IL.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bowman/2008/05/second_biggest_bighead_carp_ba.html

The one time I went out on a boat last year we killed at least 50 of them. We caught them in the air with landing nets and let them just jump into the boat. We would stab them with a knife then throw them back in the water.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I read an article about one guy that harvest them, sells fillets overseas and uses the rest for fish fertilizer and something else. He was looking for a grant to expand his business to heavily harvest them for resale. Maybe something like this is a good option, I don't really know how to fix it.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    That's what they said about the gobies and zebra muscles and look what they did to the great lakes!

The zebra muscles cleared out the water and the gobies provide forage for predator fish like walleye, salmon, lake trout, and smallmouth bass.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I need to make it back up to Lake Erie this spring. You are correct about the gobies and zebra mussels. They are helping produce some monster smallmouth bass. Watched a tv show the other day about this. rollo