Giant Bluefin Fishing in Morehead

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by billfish76, Oct 21, 2009.

1. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The Fighting Lady is a charter boat out of Morehead, NC, they become a commercial tuna boat for the winter chasing 200-500+lb bluefin tuna. They run a deal taking people out to experiance this amazing fishery. They sell the fish they catch, so you dont get to keep anything, but you do get to pull on one of these giants. They run their lines 275 yards back from the boat. They set the drags at 42lbs with 200lb floro and spectra on bent butt 130's. (big rod and reel)When a fish hits it pulls off a few hundres yards before you can get the other lines in. Thats where you come in, you help get the other lines in as fast as you can so the Captain can back down on the fish to stop him. I went last year and am going again this year. They charge $100 per person up to 3 people and if you catch a fish you dont pay.

Send me a message if you want the contact info to schedule a trip. Trips are weather dependent but you only go a few miles offshore so ruff days they still go out. Last year we fished in 4-6 footers( not to bad).

Heres the boats website
    www.secondtononecharter.com

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Got a brother in law there. May have to check it out. Thanks!!

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    That's absoultey absurd to pay a captain and crew to fish on a charter and then not be able to keep YOUR fish you Caught ...SO they CAN RESELL it to the market place for 5 time's as much....Anybody who's every went after tuna can experince that kinda of fishing if they have a good captain and CAN keep there catch and enjoy the fruit's of there labor..Might cost a little more but at least your not getting ripped off.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    No captain that I know of (and Ive been fishing offshore as a angler, Captain and Mate for 20+ years) will take you tuna fishing for $100 a person let alone for Giants. The going rate for a charter now is between $1200 and $3000 plus tip for a tuna trip on a good boat with a good crew. Alot of people cant afford a tuna trip during the season and want to see what its like to catch one, well heres the trip for you. Catching a Giant Bluefin is something to see. A fish hits and almost spools you at 42lbs of drag in a matter of seconds, to experiance that is worth not being able to take home any fish. This trip isnt for those that want to take fish to eat and thats why I said that. But if you do catch a fish YOU DONT PAY.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats why I was interested. Sounds like a deal to me.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Cary did not mean no disrespect toward's you ..I've been fishing the salt for 30 + years i just never heard of that style fishing before that THEY SELL THE CATCH....Yes and i love to hunt the tuna too, Nothing like being spooled in a matter of a few second's then bring them near the boat and have it happen once again:wink: Fish On

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I forgot to mention that i don't mind saving up that kind of money for a trip ...might take a while but to go on a fishing trip to Alaska for king salmon or halibut or on a three day tuna trip for a over nighter is worth it to me , Plus i love to eat salt water fish of all kind's and the cost is part of a mini vacation.