Ghost Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by CoonX, Apr 23, 2007.

1. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Went to the local pond today to catch some bullheads, and caught a nice little 5oz Ghost Carp. It's a common carp(Cyprinus Carpio), but the ghost color phase is more of a silver. The only gold/yellow is in the cheeks.
    Also caught a pair of 3" bullheads.
    Will

Attached Files:

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thats pretty cool Will Ive caught thousands of carp but never seen one of that pigment

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The lips don't look like a common, are you sure of that. It looks like a grasscarp, or possibly an invasive species. The mouth looks like it forms a v, instead of a common sucking mouth. That would indicate something other than a common.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Looks like bait or fertilizer to me. do you have flats or blue cats in your area?

5. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Nice carp Will. Cant say that I have ever seen one or if I have, didnt know :lol: Thanks for posting and keep the photos coming.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for sharing Wil, nice catch.

7. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    thanks for the pic. i have never seen one of those.

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Terry, out of 10s of thousands, this is the first one that I've seen or noticed. Extremely rare.

Scott, it's the right size for bait about 6". But, no place extremely close for good size blues. As for fertilizer, that was the purpose of the trip, but with it being a rare fish, I decided to let it go. Low odds but would be nice to see a few more ghosts out of that pond.

Brad, If you look close enough the mouth is below the grass stem that makes the "V".
    Plus grasser is is more streamlined. Bigheads and Silvers are nearly scaleless.

Amy, I only have 2 more carp to catch, a leather(100% scaleless) and a Koi, to have the complete carp collection.
    Will

Attached Files:

9. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hey Will, thanks for the pic. I've not seen one like that.

10. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    Thanx 4 showing the pics I've never seen a Ghost carp before:big_smile:

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Iy may be hard to find a leather. 100% scaleless is a rare variation of the common. I have caught some mirrors that were mostly scaleless, but I never dreamed of a leather. You set your goals high, I hope you get it. When you catch that leather post a picture, I have only seen 1 USA true leather online. I have seen almost scaleless mirrors though. I have yet to catch a big head or silver carp. I have 4 types I have caught. Sp far I have caught a Koi (My rarest catch of any type), grass carp, common (My PB of all types at 27lbs), and a 10lb mirror. I would like to catch a fully scaled mirror though. Tommorow morning I am headed back to the location of my previous PB for the first time in months. I have big carp fever.

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Oops, meant the Cyprinus Carpio set of common, mirror, ghost, leather and koi.
    As for the leather, I found out that there's a lake or 2 that has a real high population of mirrors and leathers. In fact the commons are fairly rare there. Only thing is it's about 1500 miles from me.
    About the the other cyprinids, only 1 have in my area is the grass carp and a friend and I are going to try some bait he got from Germany for them. Heck, might also try some fiberglass for them also.
    Will

13. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    That's neat. I never caught a carp before. I dont think Murvaul has em.

14. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you have water nearby you have carp, almost 100% of the time.