Getting your wife or girl friend interested in your hobby

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Bobpaul, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I discussed this with Dave Demoss this morning over a few laughs and promised to try to stay on track, so here goes.

An excessory that really comes in handy in this hobby, is a little tool that's usually long and slender, takes batteries to operate and best of all it vibrates when you hit the target.

If you guessed wrong, it's called a pinpointer :p . Used to pinpoint your target after finding it with your metal detector. It will save you alot of time in locating what ever it is in that clump of dirt.

Your partner can use it while you swing the coil for other targets.

The one I've got has a paddle at the end of it, and is water proof, Vibra-tech 720 I think is what it's called.

I've also seen the White Bulls eye pin pointer used and it's an extremely useful addition to this hobby.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That was good for a laugh this morning.
    needed something to cut the pain for a few.

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bob, the first time our detector went off, Judy made a mad dive right flat of her stomach and started slangin dirt everwhere.hehehe :eek: It took me 5 minutes to get the blame shovel away from her.

Actually we did do a little scouting around in the yard to just get the hang of it yesterday and to fine tune our settings. We have a pin point built into our Tesoro, we just have to push a little red button and it will pinpoint the Coke tab in no time.LOL We set our discrimination higher and still picked up a lot of stuff but we were both too tired to do anymore digging. It is a lot of fun for sure and we can't wait till we can go out and do some serious hunting. That is out today because it is raining and 36 degrees here.

Now Bob, don't go tellin Judy about anything that will vibrate... :p

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, I've got the same thing, pinpointer, built into mine also. Believe me when I tell you that the little hand held one really helps in assisting in your finds after you dig the plug.

After I dig the plug of soil, I'll hold it and pass it under my detector to see if I've got it. if not, I'll run the pinpointer in the hole. At times the target will be in the side of the hole or it'll show to dig deeper.

As I found out, the pinpointer I've got will find shallow targets on it's own, when I saw Mark doing it.

It's not a mandatory thing to have a pinpointer accessory, but I saw first hand the efficiency of them. I've only been doing it a short time and when I saw a guy getting 3 coins to my one, I figured, yup, gotta get one.

You don't have to get a vibrating one. Some make noise and have blinking lights.

It sounds like we've got a similar detector. The one I've got is an MPx brand.