Getting turtles out of stock pond..

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 17, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    We have a really big problem at our friends property, lots of turtles in this pond, they have eaten alot of fish, weve killed about 20 of them but there are still alot more. anyone have any suggestions?

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If you pay our way, me and Dinkbuster ( President of the newly formed SW Ohio Turtle Wranglers club) will fish for channels and within a day or two, will take every turtle out of the pond, thats our luck....:wink:

Seriously, try box traps, assuming there snappers. Snappers are easy to take that way, just use half a chicken for bait

Salmonid

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My mom had a gator in her pond for several years, no snakes or turtles during its tenure. Didn't seem to hurt the fish population any. Mom had parks and wildlife remove the gator when it got to about 6 foot. After the gator left turtles and snakes moved back in. Not a recommended solution but does work damn good.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    A .410 and a box of shells on a sunny afternoon seems to work pretty good for my buddy at his pond.

Turtle traps work really well for the more wary and reclusive mud snappers.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Traps seem to work pretty good, thats what I use.

6. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    .22 rifle pop em when they come up for air

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    use box traps, no matter how much u shoot them there will be more. Also put up small rabbit fence. This will keep out the migration of turtles that come from other tanks in the area.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  9. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    get some milk jugs and some twine and some hooks bait it w/ chicken or liver youll catch some on there also traps work good. google for some plans im sure youll find some.

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for the suggestions, i think ill get to try most of them out this weekend, Thankyou

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Kevin, go to the nearest Wal Mart & buy a big box of .22 bullets. Then go to your pond, get a comfortable seat, a 12 pack of Cokes, a few sandwiches & just sit and blow the crap out of turtles. I've been a big fan of shooting turtles ever since I was a little kid. Lots and lots of fun, and some darn fine target practice. You can use bigger guns to kill turtles, but it gets expensive with anything bigger than a .22 Me and my little cousin used his semi-auto .308 to shoot 'em one afternoon at my grandma's pond. What a hoot. My ears rang for days after that excursion.

Yes you can trap them, but I think it's much more fun to shoot 'em.

jerrod

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am sure Jared also meant to say something about watching out for those bullets that glance off the water. They can be just as deadly to a cow or human as to the turtle. Know your backstop before you shoot.

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oh yeah, of course. Be aware of your backstop. And wear ear & eye protection, as well as hide the women & kids. :cool2:

14. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    lol thanks for everything but does anyone know how much some chicken whire or wire mesh costs

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    why is it every one is so eager to kill them ? im not peta but i dont kill less i plan to eat it . turtles arent bad eating you know and fun to catch with rod and reel and a good small hook baited with a chunk of ground hog or other road kill , the skin on keeps it on the hook .
    you can also make a turtle hook out of a steel rod 12' long bend one end to a hook sharpen wade or float a small boat out in the pond poke the hook around in the mud bottom till you find a turtle it will sound like a thud , a rock will tink , then hook the edge of the turtle and pull him out .
    i remember dad and a freind bringing in 50 turtles in one day of fishing mom boiled water for 4 hours it took 6 hours to clean all them turtles but they became one heck of a mess of food at the next fish fry .
    me and my uncle cleaned out 5 ponds one summer 170 turtles in 3 weeks time even dug their eggs out of the banks of the ponds before they hatched one pond owner offered to pay us for taking them out but my uncle was to good a man to except money when we werent out in ourselves . we saved several ducklings by removeing the turtles .
    and all the turtles got eaten .

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I just don't think there is much demand for turtles as food. About the only thing uglier than a turtle is my ex-wife.

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    :lol: one mans ugly is another mans wife , or is that his own :lol:

i too have a bugly ex-wife

bugly = butt ugly

18. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    A 22. is all it takes to keep them under control.

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Damn did someone beat her with an ugly stik or what? LOL LOL

20. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Kevin, what part of Texas ya live in. One of my fishin' partners lives in Marshall. I've got a bunch of turtle traps. If ya live close enough, I'll loan ya one. To totally eradicate your problem, traps are the way to go. You can also order one from Jonesville Net Company for about $40 bucks. Let me know if ya want to go this route and I'll give ya some pointers.