Getting Them Shallow In OK

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by fr8dog, Oct 3, 2008.

1. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    I've been out the past 4 evenings and have been getting lots of fish in 4-6', tight to brush. Anywhere there's a stick-up, or willow bushes has been great. I'm using a 10' rod dipping a jig right in the middle of the bushes. I've probably caught 250 of them, kept 40 that were over 10", half of those were 12-13". Nothing big, but the fish are FAT. Great fillets. 1/16 oz jig, red and yellow, or chartreuse seem to work best. Surface temp is 77-79. If I didn't make my own jigs, I'd have quit fishing early. They are in TIGHT, and I've gone through dozens of them.

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    why don't you drop shot them jigs, helps out a bit from loosing so many in that tight brush, if their willows their not as bad, anyways so what lake are you talking about

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for the great crappie report. i havent tried that color yet this year but will give it a try tomorrow for sure

4. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    I didn't think of the dropshot thing. I've done that before, but they were hitting them so fast, I didn't remember that. I'll do it.

Hefner, Arcadia, Liberty. All 3 were about equal.

5. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    alright good luck, tip some of your jigs with minnow sometimes while dropshoting or vise versa,, anyways sounds fun, keep slab killin

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Man I need to get out and catch some crappies. I love eating them sooooo much. thanks for the report

7. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah i almost forgot i was a crappie fishermen once, i'm gonna have to hit em up a few times this winter

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Making me hungry! Thanks for the report!