getting them in at night alone

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 1, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im out at night alot alone how in the heck, can i get a 40 0r 50 pounder in alone off of rip rap or a steep embankment , my biggest was 25 pounds,i just beached him

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    This is one reason I am working on a landing net for big cats. It will be single operator friendly and work on rip rap, lock walls, or boatside. It coming!!

3. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Up here in North Dakota the rivers tend to have steep clay banks, or if your lucky some rip rap. Slippery down by the water doesn't even come close. Try to get within 3 feet and you may sink in to your knees, or you may just slide down till your in the river.

One of the things I did in the past was take a old Paint roller handle, and made myself a gaff hook, then screwed on a 6' aluminum handle. Slip the hook into a gill and gently start easing it up and you could slip them right up the bank to where you had firm/flat footing.

Also worked pretty good a couple of times to catch big snapping turtles that were raiding my stringer but thats another story. :)

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i used a paint pole too mark. i put mine on the handle of my frabil net though. the octagon handle and shaft of the two fit just rite!

6. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If it's that once in a lifetime fish look out guys, I'm going swimming with the fishes........Hurry up with that net Ronnie!!

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I have the same concern here. I recently made me a hand gaff for this particular situation but then yesterday I was reading the fish and game regulations and gaffs are not allowed for any purpose whatsoever that helps me. Also there is a restriction on the size of dip net I'm allowed. I was pretty upset. I never could operate a net right while bending down on the riprap holding a pole with adrenaline flooding me. Some of these spots going in after it is just not intellegent in hte dark.

8. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    [​IMG]
    How about one of these. I have the 12" size and love it. I have used it on a 34" flathead and 32" channel cat. Never had a fish shake it off.

9. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have one of those Don. Never lost a fish with it and it sure comes in handy when you are fishing alone....

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    OH OH OH... I WANT ONE! I asked for one last fathers day and last christmas but so far no one has decided to afford one for me... thanks for the link though I'll send it around*wink*

11. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    My Dad told me he saw a fellow fishing one of those long tall docks on the coast and he had a big ole deep circle net without a handle on a rope that he lowered to the water and put under his fish and would pull them up. Something like that?

12. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    that sounds like a crab net of sorts. My design actually closes the net after the fish is on board and starting up the wall, rip rap etc. It also stays oriented in the water current.

13. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Well Who'dathunk it? What Won't they think up next?

A lipgrip, well yes if you can put that on a extendable handle it might do the trick at that.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    wont a gaff damage thir gills,i alwaws tried beaching thim then gram them but i wish i had a bigger net, also ned a light on my head

15. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    My Grandpa was a Fur Trapper and he constructed a device that would work beatiful in those hard to reach situations. He used it to grab pissed off wild animals that were caught in traps. Basically it was a long metal pole with a rope noose on one end tied to a bycycle chain that ran through the pole that he attached to a grip handle that looked somewhat like the handle you'd see on a shovel. Basically he would (from a distance) reach the animal and slide the noose around its neck and then pull it tight to subdue the animal so that he could release it from the trap. I don't see why this would'nt work for pulling a played out fish on the bank.

Just a bit of "Redneck Inginuity" I thought I'd share. :wink:

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I usually wear a headlamp and turn it on when I hook a fish and keep the net nearby when I get them in close I just pick up the net and scoop them up. Of course they usually want to run 2 or 3 more times.

17. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Patrick I was kind of thinking of the same thing, and you could wrap the tail, head or stiff spines! Kind of like the dog catcher uses for stray dogs who are aggressive! I also have a lip grip and the short Berkley one works great!! , but you would have to figure out how to affix one to a long pole!???:eek:oooh:

On the gaff. It would be fine if it was blunted and you slipped it under the very front of the gill plate so you wouldn't hang the actual gills. Maby slide it under the bottom jaw in the end/beginning of the gill plate, Like some people hold them up for a pic! ??

Yea that Rip Rap can be a MONSTER! Around home there is Black Land Clay!!! It is like BubbleGum!! You will sink in it and it also sticks like super glue!!! It can be HARD to get down to the water as well!!! I have broken off more than a few nice fish when I was a kid trying to drag them in!!!:cry::cry::cry:

Let us know what you figure out!!

Germanmudfish, That net sounds like it is going to be SWEET!!! WE WANT PICS!!WE WANT PICS!!! WE WANT PICS!!! LOL

Take Care and keep Your HOOK WET!!!
    Andy

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like you just caught a real nice fish. I would worry about the 50 pounder once you catch him. I would be willing to get a little muddy or wet to get him in!

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Any fish's gills are extremely sensitive. If you don't or can't use a net, I'd recommend gaffing a big cat in the lower jaw. That's commonly done in saltwater, when they intend to release the fish.