getting the stink out of my boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by malaki, May 19, 2009.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    if only it were a fish smell i could deal with it! just picked up a 1986 polarcraft 14' jon, with full factory decking. it had a bunch of composting leaves and stunk like crazy. the more i cleaned the more the smell turned to mice. stripped out all the decking finally found it under the rear bench on top of the styrofome. had to use a mirror and look up under the seat and saw it sticking out the sides of the foam. since the bench is covered by decking and is rivited into the boat i took a 3" hole saw and cut 3 holes in the top of the bech so i could get to it. the had a hole dug about 4 inchen deep and 6 inches aroud. used the shopvac and some cleaner and sprayed it with the hose till it was clean. put a fan in it and left it over night and it smells worse than ever. will i ever get that out or do i need to remove the foam? and how do you do that without cutting up the bench? any ideas??

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    try new wave its pretty tough stuff

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Well

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Well when i get a fish smell on my hand I use porroxide to get it off.Some use tooth paste but thats the chemical in thr tooth paste that takes the smell off.I don't know how much in the foam the smell is in but you might try a cxouple of bottles of peroxide to get the smell out.Pour it in and let it doe its job.after you wash that out pour in some baking soda and fill it with news paper.News paper is supposed to soak up smell too.I know the news paper works because a buddy of mine in colledge puked in my truck and I could not get the smell out until my girlfriend told me about the news paper.Hope this works for you.You might have to cut the seats out I would just get a skill saw and cut the top off and take the foam out.You ca then fill it back with foam and then cover what you cut off with plywood.

5. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    any atempt to clean it only angered the stench so i got out the grinder and started cuttingn found another nest and the foam was saturated with pee:angry:. but the smell is gone, now to find some more foam. we just got back from our first time out and there was no air moving at all. we would have bailed out if that smell was still there.