Getting the Grime off....

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Everyone with a boats knows about the gunky grime film that is left after a days fishing on a local river on the hull of your boat. more common here in Ohio's muddy, polluted rivers :p

What does everyone use to clean up with?
    I know we always use Vinegar in a spray bottle on fiberglass boats as it will cut through anything and not hurt the glass at all. All bass fishermen know this trick. :rolleyes:

Im curious what the best approach is for alluminum hulls?
    Any good comments/tricks out there?

Salmonid

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Mechanics hand cleaner such as "GO JO" works on boat hulls inside and out.Outboard motors,rods reels,gear,etc.Grime,film,oil, grease and crud.ALSO good around the kitchen for cooking grease crude which builds up around a stove,etc.You rub or brush it on or in, let set for 1- 20 minutes,20 days,years (won,t hurt a thing).Wipe it off with a dry (or damp if dried) rag or paper towel.Hose off if outside.Rub it in on heavy grime and stains on clothes and let set,before washing.Works on so many things.For hardened,set up crude,just keep applying,let set and wiping.With time,most things will disappear.I also have found cleaners such as Mean Green to be affective on all the above.I am looking forward to what the rest are using.peewee-williams.

3. trlrtrash

trlrtrash New Member

State:
    prairie du chien wi.
    3M makes a product called trouble shooter that i use on my aluminum jon and also my fiberglass boat...it is very strong, spray it on let it sit, and wipe it off...word of caution, test it on a small spot to be sure it dosn't take your paint...never happened to me, but a friend of mine said it did to him

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your continuously using a boat in the waters around here i wouldnt even bother tyring to clean it, the very next trip it will be stained again. i dont know what that funk is that floats on the water but all of my rods, boats, and canoe are stained from it. tried years back to remove it from the rods, it came off but took all the varnish with it. i just leave it on everything, figure its added protection:D

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Simple Green is good for getting most things off, but you need to be careful that you thoroughly wash it off of bare aluminum or else it'll corrode the stuff. Just hose it down real good and you'll have no problems.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    REAL catfishers like slime all over the boat! LOL

7. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I tried Toon Bright last week and was impressed with the results. It took off almost all of the grime and nasty build up stuff on the toons without having to scrub much. One word of caution though the stuff is strong and avoid breathing the mist if at all possible.I would also recommend using gloves. You just spray it on and let it sit for 15 min or so and hose it off.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    anyone every try Easy Off oven cleaner?

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I bought a spray bottle of filter cleaner at Lowes for cleaning hot tub filters. It says on the bottle that it's also good for cleaning acrylic spa surfaces, boats, lawn mowers and a bunch of other stuff. I sprayed some on my fiberglass boat and on the scum line on the motor and it instantly disolved it. It smells like oranges. It's good for cleaning spa filters too.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I never pictured you as a SPA man, Grumpy.

11. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I had to get one to keep from having to take the old lady to a cabin in Gatlinburg every few months. We stayed in a cabin up there that had a hot tub on the porch and she had to have one. It helps my arthritis too. I use it almost every day.

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Learn something new and interesting about my brothers every day

13. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    For all my cleaning around the house I use the ZAP products. I think they have a cleaner for everything. If it is scum lines on boats or concrete this brand cleans it all. They sale it at Lowes. I used Simple Green for a long time until I found Zap products.

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Use Simple Green With Good Results. They Have Their New & Improved Formula, Which Isn't Worth A Crap, Stick With The Original Formula.

HTH, Elliot

15. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have an older fiber glass boat that was really getting dawl, I use ArmorAll on it and it looked a lot better. I hope it was good on it, the spray says For Rubber, Plastic, and Vinyl... it dont say a thing about fiber glass.

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I am lucky enough to have a commercial power washer which works very well at cleaning the stains from the boat.