Getting the "FUNK" off

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salmonid, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    So what is your favorite method for getting that foul, nasty fish gut, skip jack slime, smell off of your hands at the end of a trip?

My best way is to wash the hands with Tooth Paste, it works quite well!! Seldom do I need to wash more then 1 time, but, if I do the 2nd time will get rid of 99% of the smell.

Any other secret formulas??

(This post inspired by Dinkbusters Mice thread)

Salmonid (with the Pearly White Hands)

2. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    wash your hands w/ soap then take a piece of lemon and totally mash it up with your hands and fingers using the lemon mash like soap, rinse, clean hands. works great for stinkbaits too

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heck, most of the time i forget to wash when i get home and start diving into some food! but honestly i just use dawn dish soap, seems to work pretty good especially the "lemon" scented.

4. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I spend alot of time and money getting that smell,am in no hurry to get rid of it :) fast orange hand cleaner works real well ;)

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    once I've used regular soap once (I use orange gojo cause it holds well, stores well, and thats what I got) , I grab a piece of stainless steel (must be real true stainless steel) and wash my hands as though the steel were a soap bar. It works for most gunk stink.

Originally the idea came as a "grandmother's cooking secret" for after cutting onions or garlic. In fancy kitchenware shops the sell stainless steel soap bars just for that purpose, but I doubt a bazillion dollar Williams Sonoma specialty item belongs in anyone's tackle box. Personally I shaved the handle off an old tablespoon and keep that under my boat seat next to the paper towels roll and the Gojo.

Yes it kills the stink in fish and onions and NO I dont know why. Give that one a try.

Oh yeah.... I have yet to try it on concentrates like stink bait. This upcoming season will be the first season for me to personally try stink bait. All my life I have used live or cut bait. I got a tub of Doc's Original for Christmas... Im curious how well it works on fish, but not curious enough about the bait to rub it on my hands, try this method out, nd report back to the BOC on my findings. Something tells me that nothing on God's Green Earth should force me to play with that butt-fudgy-batter till it is absolutely necessary. LOL :eek:

Sal

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LMAO! butt-fudge-batter, thats great! :worship:

7. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Here is a trick I saw once for removing skunk scent. Sqeeze a small amount of dawn dish soap in your hand, put about a tablespoon of baking soda on it and wet the baking soda down with hydrogen peroxide. Scrub your hands well and poof, smell is gone. I sometimes mix up a small ziplock bag of this and take it with me in the boat. Does anyone know if washing your hands with frebreeze will work??

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    When i fished for Salmon a lot the smell would never come off. the trick we used was gojo juice and a scrubber first throughly scrubbing your hands down. Followed by dail liquid soap. It always seemed to work.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm going into my 4th year of catfishing & I'm yet to ever wash my hands :eek:

10. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Here's what I do, it's kind of complicated so listen. I go to edge of the lake or river which ever I'm fishing at the time and I put both hands together, stick them in the water, and rub them back and forth with a rather fast motion, after that it's safe to eat using your fingers and everything. ;)

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    a soap called campsuds.

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I always use dawn dishsoap first. Then i follow that up w/ a round of toothpaste. Works everytime :) !

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I persoanlly leave it on I fix myself a couple of peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches when I get home from fishing, and most of it just comes off on the bread.

But if I want to clean my hands I just use soap and hot water, then a little after shave to take the reaming smell off.

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I carry a lil bottle of Cotton Blossom, it fits into my takcle box. It's 60% Ethyl Alcohol and smells like cotton blossom. It's a anti-bacterial hand wash. No water needed.
    Dip bait is rank, and I kept gettin' shad scales in my nose from pickin' it. So my wife gave me this lil bottle. Works great. Kills the stink bait smell and fish slime / shad scales right off.
    And No, It Don't Make Me Smell purty !

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thats a tried and true method although I havent convince my girlfriend yet.

16. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    All these methods are good ones. Nothing will completely take the smell off but a little time. I usually use Gojo or fast orange. If smell still lingers i will wash hands with toothpaste and hydrogen peroxide.....seems to work for about 15 minutes, then it seems the smell comes back.....Ahhh, the smell of college hookers!

17. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    to answer the ? fabreeze works butr i use dawn dish soap then i put catsup in my hands and rub them reall good then rinse and poof no more smell

18. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Bayoubear
    I bet that leamon juice feels good in small cuts!

19. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Dusty, ketchup are you sure you don't have cleaning your hands and dinner mixed up. :D I have tried bleach, dish soap, laundry detergent, soap scum remover, shaving gel, brillo pad, and nothing realy gets all the stink off.

20. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I keep 'fast orange' w/pumice in the boat. It works pretty well. I've also used the lemon juice, toothpaste, and catsup with good results at home.