Getting the catfish to bite??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by txthumper1691, May 24, 2007.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I have found a 3 acre lake recently, and I know there r some good size cats in it. The first time I went there I saw a 4-5 pounder floating dead by th bank, sad, yes I know. Now theres a feeder that goes off once a day on th dam. We r not allowed to fish off th dam, but we can fish parrallel to it. th problem is you cant cast out far enough to get close to th feeder. I tried chumming with 1 store bought chum twice, and 2 different home made chums and even dog food........NOTHIN. I cant catch a cat to save my life, caught 3 very small bass on live worms one morning, but thats it. I have tried finding out what kind of food they use to feed th fish, but mums th word, do u think if I just went to th feed store an bought some pond fish food it might help? Th pond or small lake is behind our local V.A. hospital, so following rules is very important. Any one have any ideas I have thought about?

2. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    go get you some 2-3oz bank sinkers and a thirteen foot surf rod with a spinning reel on it. if you cant reach out far enough to touch em then, start lookin for another place to fish cuz they have been fished so heavy they have learned to stay were you cant cast too.

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    sounds like the reason why u cant get them is that they are already full from the feeder and also they have been probably fished very heavy since it is in a government area. so they tend to hole up there. u might try away from the feedr in another area of it possibly see what happens.

4. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    We have a couple of feeders on a lake on the farm and I've come to the conclusion that you can't catch NUTHIN around a feeder while there's food floating on the water. I've fished around those feeders for a long time and the bite can be smokin hot, but when the feeders go off, it shuts down completely.

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    go get you some 2-3oz bank sinkers and a thirteen foot surf rod with a spinning reel on it. if you cant reach out far enough to touch em then, start lookin for another place to fish cuz they have been fished so heavy they have learned to stay were you cant cast too.

I can reach out an touch'em w/that no doubt. just dont have one. thought about it, think i may go get one an see what i cant catch that way. i aint quittin till i exaust all options. will try again this weekend, will keep ya updated.

6. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Guess it depends on how much effort you're willing to spend. I know that you said that you tried dog food, but from my thinkin', you just haven't tried it enough. You can train those cats just like they are trained to go to that feeder. If you threw dog food from the same spot at the same time every day, then they'd lean to come to that spot, and expect to be eatin' when they do. 'Course, you still won't be able to catch on on the bottom, you'd have to catch them off of the top - hook through some dog food, maybe?

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    thats what I wanna hear, re-train them to eat somewhere else, hmmmmm yess i like it alot. this can be done. their original feeder goes off in th mid afternoon, i like to fish in th early a.m. this is possible. feed them b4 i go to work an on my days off go try it out. yes. thanks bro, gonna give it a shot. will get back w/ya in bit an let ya know how its goin.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thump, You're wasting your time trying to catch them around the feeder. The fish pellets float, and thats all they will concentrate on as long as its spewing out food. If you want to catch the biggest channels in that pond/lake all you have to do is catch you some 50 cent to silver dollar size bluegills for bait,(Use them live, hooked just behind the dorsal fin). If you can manage, the best time to fish will be the first couple hours after sunset or the same right before sunrise. I assume this lake has a weed edge around the perimeter. Cast a bait out just to the edge of the weeds and one to the inside near the bank ( even if its only 1ft deep). Put these gills on a carolina rig with a 12 to 15 inch leader and a 1/2 to 1oz weight. I'd go with a 5/0 or 6/0 hook. Any 3lb or larger channel will never notice. Just be quiet on the bank, or walk away from where you are sitting and cast then walk your pole back letting out line. I guarentee you will catch the biggest fish in the pond if you can keep quiet.

9. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree with the above post get some of those gills, if legal, and use them. Are you trying to get them at night? Also, try to time the feeder and start fishing for them and hour before the feeder goes off. They may be hungrier just before the feeder goes off.

10. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I dont know what th hours r I can fish this lil lake. I did have some good luck catchin some 1/2 dollar to palm size sun fish, when I tried using it for bait, I ended up gettin hung up on something. only tried th one tho. gonna try all suggstions if th rules of th lake will let me. thanks everybody for your input, if I dont ever catch any of these fish at least I tried.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I like to fish the "profane" lakes, one is a favorite, and they are stocked with farm raised catfish. I wouldn't eat a cat out the Ohio river unless I was starving. And the other big waters around here come out with new warnings against eating & cosumption every year. Polution is killing our fish and keeping us from enjoying the fruits of our labor and love.
    I've never had much luck with blue gill, but many guys swear by it. I have found that they will hit cut shad when nothing else is working. I know this is sacrilidge; but go to a bait shop an buy yerself some cut shad & see if ya can't nail em prime time into an thru the dark. While yer at the shop, snag some hooks, sized for the cuts of shad. I've had better luck with cut shad & schrimp, than even liver. Fact is I don't even use liver anymore.
    CPR don't do it for me, I wanna eat what I catch.
    Wow; profane lakes, baitshop, eating what I catch....this could be my last post. The mods liable ta kick me outa here....
    :embarassed: