Getting the best distance out of your BCaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JBrooks, Oct 16, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I recently purchased a 7000iCS Pro Rocket, in hopes of being able to the other side of the world with it. :smile2: Being new to baitcasters, I don't think I'm getting the best out of the reel as far as casting distance goes.

I'm not familiar with the additional adjusting know next to the handle, behind the drag. When I loosen it, the spool moves from side to side. The tension knob on the other side is what I mainly mess with, but the numbers around the knob move around too, is this adjusting something too? How can I keep track of how many braking mechanisms I'm using if this moves around?

This reel casts just as far as my 6500 with a bad bearing. I don't understand. They're both using the same 30lb test line (monofilament).

The reel is always used with a 5 oz sinker and usually 1 - 2 oz chunks of cut bait.

I use nothing but 7 foot Tiger Rods. Is most of my distance achieved in the rod? If so, I may need a bigger rod with a stiffer tip, right?

I adjust the tension so my bait falls no problem to the ground when I engage the spool. I've adjusted it even looser, but I always get minor backlash when I cast, which obviously effects the overall results of the cast.

I can cast it far if I whip it - but I can't afford to lose a piece of bait when I hardly have any to begin with. Not to mention, I should'nt have to do this.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    James

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    A lot of people think those knobs for this particular reel and the 7000IC3 are for braking, but it is not for that intended purpose.Those knobs are only to center the spool and should never be made tight. There should be some minimal play in the spool as you do not want to damage the bearings. The brakes for that reel can be found on on the crank side after unscrewing the three screws on the cranking side plate. There are four centrifugal plastic brakes that can be push in to lock and later be unlocked. You can set the centrifugal brakes at 0, 1, 2, 3, and all 4 engaged. The less the number that are engaged the further the distance you will get. That means you need to thumb and listen to the spool speed in flight as not to get a backlash.

You are not going to get much distance with a 7 foot rod. The length of the rod alone will not give you a good casting arc compared to a 9 foot rod. As you go up in length you will have a better caster arc. Not all rods will perform well, but generally a medium heavy rod will give you the best distance.

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    um looking at the book step 1 and step 3 are for different models 1 for reels without the left knob. and 3 for reels with the left side one witch the left side should be loosened the right tightened then the left retightened till all side to side motion of the spool is gone then align the arrow with zero on the dial then leave the right side alone and make all ajustments with the left dial. it says ajust left side only because the right side has no o ring to keep the cap from loosining and falling off. am i right boss?

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    James, if you want distance, you've got to get familiar with the insides of that reel. The tension knob on the side is just a constant drag on the spool. All of mine are loose. Take the thing apart, clean the bearings, oil them, then experiment with the brake blocks. Once you find the right wt oil for the bearings and the right number of brake blocks to suit you, the reels can get pretty peaceful to cast. A better rod will help too but a longer rod will just increase your problems unless you tune the reel first.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i agree a 7' mh tiger will outcast lesser 9' rods

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well ..... I don't know about out that casting.... its all in the flick and fling of the rod...... and in the middle of the cast the reel runs the line off if it is best in a vertical allignment from what I have found.... and then the thumb has to educated to do its job......

longer pole should do a longer cast .....depending on the flex of the tip of the rod....

Tight lines... bayrunner ray

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Great 'splanation Kenney,, :smile2:
    And, I agree w/ what you said Brandon..Tighten the right, adjust with the left..

I don't worry about the number indicator on the left side, never pay attention to it,,It's basically just an indicator, and I don't think they are too dependable as they do have a tendency to move around.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Steps 1 and 3 are for all reels that have the brakeing knob on the left side plate or right( according to if its a left or right handed reel). once the weight fall is set and no backlash is present by the brake under the star drag, use the opposite brake to adjust the reel for maximum performance. Its thats simple :big_smile:

Steps 1,2,and 3 were copied straight from the book on the 7000iCS Pro Rocket.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    If your going for distance then forget about the brake turn it off or remove it. Adjust your spool tension so that the spool has the absolute least amount of freeplay and still is loose and smooth. A levelwind will decrease your casting distance,it's just one more peice of equipment to cause drag. A longer rod will allow for a smoother load up and release with alot more energy. Learn how to pendulum cast,its pretty much hanging your weight and bait behind you and swinging it back and forth and timing the swing and release to coincide with the outer arch of the pendulum,increasing your manual leverage energy. Learn to use your thumb to barly,slightly,ever so softly,put just the right amount of tension on the spool to prevent backlashs. practice,practice,practice. It's possible to acheive 150+ yard casts with a little help and alot of practice, some guys can really wing a bait,some well over two hundred yards. What your looking for is a swing that starts slow and increases in speed and force in a smooth and controlled manner. Some of those long casting gents are swinging 14+ foot rods with 10 foot of line past the tip giving them the swing leverage of 24+feet with the pendulum. I don't need to cast that far but easily acheive 100 yard throws with a berkley 7 foot big game rod in med/hvy and a peen peerless #9 with a 3 oz. no-roll and a whole 4 to 5 inch long baitfish.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Take out two or three of the brake blocks, swap out the stainless bearings for ceramic, and you'll see a big difference. The knob on the right centers the spool, and the knob on the left adjusts the tension on the spool.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I stoped using abu 7000's a few years ago, I cant get at least 30 yds more distance on my 6500's using the same line and weight.

the best once I have for casting distance are the record rcn 60 high capacity, same size as a 6500...AND THE 6500 CL big game, is has the dual casting controls like a rocket, ilosen both knobs the same so my spolls rides in the middle.

14. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    The rod has just as much importance as the reel in trying to achieve maximum distance with a cast. Proper loading of the blank with the weight being casted is paramount to the success rate of your casting. Taking the time to practice casting in the off season will pay big rewards next season. Put the size sinker that you use inside a tennis ball (that way it doesn't bury into the ground) and go to an unused baseball field in a park to practice. Time well spent. Trust me. :wink: Do a web search on distance casting. You'll be amazed!

Ray

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  15. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    ^yeah. what he said ^

16. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. I'll spread the mojo when I'm off of work. :wink:

The reel is brand new, I don't really want to take it apart. But I have considered ceramic bearings.

The distance casting videos amaze me. I want to learn this pendulum cast. How effective will it be with a 7 foot rod? I'd be worried about hooking myself in the back on the whip. And how good does a cut piece of bait stay on during this cast? It looks to me like there is a ton of force behind that swing. How do these guys set their tension? I'd imagine it's practically turned off, right? I'd imagine they aren't using very thick line - as I'm using 30 lb PLine.

17. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    james let me try to answer your questions in oreder

the pendulum cast...be careful for safety reasons you need a lot of room for this cast.

it can be effective with a 7ft rod but you're going to have start at the low end of the recommended casting weight for your rod.

on a surf rod your sinker is leaving the tip at upwards of 200mph(see the reason for a lot of room) and at the end of the cast your sinker is hitting the water at 40-70mph. so your best option for extreme casting is to look into using impact shields.

when using a baitcaster most guys use either a leather thumb guard or a piece of bicycle inner tube attached to the rod and they have their reels tuned to match the conditions for example hot humid day with no wind they'll use 40wt oi in the bearings and the mags set at 4-6 then back off of them during the cast.

during a tournament they are using 12-15lb test line and hit say 700 feet now when they go fishing switching to 30lb you'll lose roughly 100-150feet and then depending on your bait say another 50-100 ft lost that can come out to be 450ft of fishing distance. switching to braid and using impact shields can bump that up to 650ft of fishing distance.

on a final note be warned that you cannot just wake up one day and hit 400feet you're going to have to practice and practice often. get to know what a 100yds looks like on the field and on the water. i have seen guys show up to casting tournaments and claim they can cast 700ft only to find out they are really only casting 200-300ft and leave embarrassed. i know cause it happened to me but i came back, stuck around and did ok ;)

18. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    ive done that pendolum cast with my 10ft catmaxx with the new procat 6500 and i about spooled my reel. Steve tried it and now have a scar on the back of my head from it...:eek:oooh:

19. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've went out today to the field and practiced on my casting.
    I didn't focus on my pendulum cast, instead I learned what's called the "African Cast". The bait is laid on the ground, and a lot of body weight is involved. I will practice on the pendulum soon enough though.

I noticed a huuuuuuuge increase in distance on this cast alone. Judging by how much line was let out of my spool on the iCS, I'd say 100 yards, if not some change. I was using a 5 oz. weight with the Tiger Rod.

I loosened the brake during one cast, birdnested it pretty bad. Something I need to learn to work with. :smile2: It's only my first day trying.

I hope bait stays on during this cast.

I can say, I've been casting wrong for years! :wink:

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You'll do fine bro, We all had that problem at one time or another. Just keep on practicing and you'll be casting with the best of -em..:wink:

I use the pendulum cast on every cast almost, since I use slip floats and I have the slip-knot to deal with that runs through the guides on the cast. By useing it I can adjust my knot inbetween guides and arch my arm backwards to get the bait to rock back to almost straight inline with my rods tip and follow through with the cast and get real good distance everytime. You will not have any problem..

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009