Getting that itch again. Need reel recommendation.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by soonerjoseph, May 25, 2020.

1. soonerjoseph

soonerjoseph New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey everyone! I'm really wanting to start fishing again. It's been over 5 years since I used to fish 3-4 times a week. Long story but I had a bad accident and broke my back/shoulder and with all the complications had 9 surgeries. And I also had a house fire that took everything we owned and to make matters worse the contractor I payed ran off with a huge amount of the insurance money. Three years later and with help from friends and family I've finally rebuilt the house! So now that I have free time on my hands I can fish again!

The fire took all my tackle. Most important to me was the WaveSpin reels I had! I really loved that design as it made fishing with spinning reels awesome for me. Unfortunately you just can't find these reels anymore. I am on a bit of a budget but so far I bought a cosmetically damaged KastKing Perigee II Spinning 7' 2 piece with 2 tips, M/MH Power and Fast action. I bought this before I looked to see that the WaveSpin reels are no longer available but the price was right because of the cosmetic damage and I had to jump on it. I'm not married to getting a spinning reel but I'd have to find a really cheap baitcasting rod and reel setup to go that route.

What spinning reel do you think would work best? I want to keep the budget to $100 or less. It's for all around fishing btw, no "monster" catfish but I used my Wavespins in 4000 size to fish pretty much for anything smaller than 30 pounds. I do want a baitfeeder style spinning reel is my only requirement, which is the biggest reason I want to stay with a spinning reel. Thanks and have a blessed day!

Brackish*Water likes this.
  2. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I would try a Penn Fierce 3 live liner out it's close to the 100 dollars and if you look around it can be found much cheaper.

3. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Active Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    John
    eastforker and Brackish*Water like this.
  4. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    I second Stacee's suggestion on the Penn fierce 4000IIILL. I bought one to try out and feel in love with it so I bought a second one. I started baitfeeders with the Sharky III and while at first I enjoyed it, problems soon developed within 9 months and I'm not hard on my gear but we did catch a lot of fish. So I switched to the Penn. It is all metal and feels like it will last a lifetime. It can out cast my Sharky by 30 yards easy. And when your reeling in a fish the Sharky bends unlike the Penn. BTW I only fish channel catfish from 2-10 lbs at most. Most are 3-4 lbs. Hope this helps

5. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Whew, when I started reading your post I thought it may be going in the direction that the contractor ran off with your wife and they took your boat or something instead of insurance money. I too think you would be good with a Penn. Good Luck and glad things are getting lined out for you and your family.

6. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Wow Sooner,
    When it rains it pours, huh! I had total house fire 20 years ago and still find that I miss things from that fire. Kudos to you for picking yourself up and moving on.
    Hope that contractor is in jail.
    Oh another vote for Penn equipment, can't go wrong.
    Welcome aboard!

7. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

State:
    Cental Oregon
    Name:
    Don Fischer
    I got a Kastking just to try because a guy was bad mouthing them so bad in the internet. Might have been here, don't remember. Well I like round casting reels and that was what they were talking about so I found a Kastking Rover 40 on Amazon for around $45. Of course then I needed a rod so back on Amazon and found a Berkley 7' Cherrywood rod for around $20. Not one complaint with it in fact I think it was a steal! Went back on Amazon for a crappie reel, spinning. Got another Kastking as I really like my Rover 40. Also got another Berkley Cherrywood rod for it, around $40 into it!If your on some lean budget, you can spend your money on equipment or fishing! Don't over look the less than big name equipment. You can try out a round Kastking for about $45 or you can try out an ABU 6500 for about $120, BTW, I'm a big ABU fan! If you don't care for the Kastking, your out about $45. If you don't like the ABU, your out about $120!

Tommy Dean likes this.
  8. soonerjoseph

soonerjoseph New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I might've found a source for a couple Wavespin reels. I don't know how legit it is so I'm also going to just pick up a cheap reel just incase it doesn't pan out.

I would LOVE to get one of those Penn Fierces. Only thing I worry about is wind knots. I don't think too many people would admit this but I'm not that great of a fisherman. Things tend to go bad for me and I have terrible luck with the line blowing up on me.

I found a source for a Penn Spinfisher for $120. Again, don't know how legit it is. I sourced parts to put my house back together and would find solid wood inside doors that cost $200+ any other place for $70, copper sinks for under $30 direct from egypt etc. I've developed a knack for it out of necessity and I guess I also find it fun to see how cheap I can get stuff.

@Jbuck I had a feeling people would think that's they way my post was going to go lol Sounds about like it should have!

@Don Fischer That's reel is what I'm going to get for a second reel later on. Right now they're out of stock which is why I'm going to go with the spinning reel setup first. I like having 1 of each just for fun.

Nuclear Bill and Don Fischer like this.
  9. 3rivers

3rivers Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Gregg
    Why would the Penn Fierce be anymore prone to wind knots than any other spinning reel?

10. soonerjoseph

soonerjoseph New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Certain Penn reels leave a gap at the top of the spool.

11. chillydigits

chillydigits Well-Known Member

State:
    Mt.Liberty Ohio
    Name:
    Fred
    I will bite... which Penn spinners leave a gap at the top of the spool?

12. 3rivers

3rivers Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Gregg
    Best i could find was back in 2013 the Clash and Battles had some line lay issues. Most line lay issues are fixable and if you're not casting lures in the surf I can't see it ever being a problem. I own/ have owned 2 Fierce's and 2 Pursuits without an issue.

13. Flathead Tyrant

Flathead Tyrant Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    Yes, I am curious as well.

Nuclear Bill likes this.
  14. Flathead Tyrant

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    It's not.

Wind knots are nearly always related to something the user did. One of the best ways to avoid wind knots is to manually close the bail on a spinner.

The best way to get wind knots is to automatically close the bail.

15. chillydigits

chillydigits Well-Known Member

State:
    Mt.Liberty Ohio
    Name:
    Fred
    I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the tip, I don’t use spinners much at all. I will definitely use that tip on manually closing the bail when I do.

16. Flathead Tyrant

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    Yeah, even on the auto trip bails it is better practice to just close the bail manually. It sort of forces you to pay attention to the line as sometimes when it is loose right after a cast you get a section of line that will lay on the spool skirt or over the drag knob and you xan fix it before there is a resulting wind knot.