Getting started

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CapeFear910, Jul 26, 2006.

1. CapeFear910

CapeFear910 New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    I want to start goin after cats in the Cape Fear River. Just wondering if any of ya'll had any tips on what kinda rod and reel to buy, rigs, etc.

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    As heavy as you can afford to get, I have a CatMaxx and plan on getting another one. Use 30# test line get weights heave enough to get through the current to the bottom and some good hooks. I have several diffeent kinds and sizes of heave hooks.

Welcome to the BOC Bother, the best Catfishin/fishin site on the net.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    An ABU 6500c3 spooled with 25 pound big game, a 7 foot catfish ugly stick, 2-5 oz no roll sinkers 8/0 circle hooks or Kahle hooks, 2/0 swivels , and some steel beads.
    Bait of choice is eels, live bream or shad.
    The rod and reel combined at Walmart is 100 bucks.

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Buy cheap first because if you don't like it your not out anything...Wally world sells some decent uglystick catfish combos... I just bought an 8' ugly stick rod with a quantum reel for under $30.00.. (I'm cheap)...but I have had most of my cat rods for over 2 years and they still work as good as the day I bought them. you just have to maintain them..(grease-oil)

One thing you need on you reels is a large spool...you need to be able to spool on allot of line....I use 65 lb suffix line...if I hook into a big one I don't plan on loosing because of line failure. There are some BIG MONSTERS in the cape fear.

Rigs: I usually rig one carolina rig and one three way to find out what the fish prefer. I use circle hooks usually I use 8/0 with no roll weights

Bait: the fresher and oily the better for blues... but flatties definitely prefer the live bait..

Be patient the catfish experts and we have quite a few here will be visiting soon and will be offering more advice..

Good luck and keep us updated on your catches...

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

agreed any of the catfish combos will do you right for starting out. as for hooks and lead those are personal choices. I would start with egg and no roll sinkers, good barrel swivels and three types of hooks J-hook, circle and kahle until you find out what you like the best.

6. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    abu Garcia reel, if aint to proud look at pawn shops, yard sales etc. Ugly stick pole you cant go wrong, 7ft-9ft.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know nothing about your area but it sounds like your gettin some great tips on what to do and what to get for your area.
    So anyway :0a25: to the BOC,the GREASTEST CATFISH SITE in the whole country. I know your gonna enjoy it here .as you have allready finding out there is a lot of good info from lots and lots of good people on here. Listen to what they tell you and your on your way to catching the big ones. Have Fun ,Welcome and stay safe. GOD BLESS!!

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Atleast an Abu 5000 with 20lb berkley big game.

9. CapeFear910

CapeFear910 New Member

State:
    thanks for the advice

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I know you outta staters don't know the cape fear but you definitely need more than 20 lb. test...we got some GIANTS in there....don't quote me on this but the new NC state record flattie was taken out of that river I believe it was 79 lbs. (can't remember)

11. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i use a rod called a beef stick and abu 7000 with ATLEAST 25lb cajun red or power pro in the line diameter eual. yes there are some large cats in the cape fear. finally got thing with fire settled and buying fishing tackle now. but went down the other day to check a spot and a man shocked up a 80 lb flattie. no wally world special going to bring him out of the water. the real shocker was the man released the fish adn told me he only does shocking to see what is there and the size of them. so kinda cool in my eyes. talk to you all soon.

12. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. Go with the heavest rod you can afford and match the real and line to it. If you are short on money woruld recomend the uglystick Catfisher rod.

13. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  14. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Abu Garcia 6500-7000 with Ugly Stick. If you don't like to catfish you are close enough to the coast to use them there for saltwater. Long lasting and easy to service. I have a 5500 c I bought from A.K. McC back in 1972 and it is still as good as new. Resale is good on Abu Garcia reels also. Bet I can get a lot more for the 5500 than I paid for it. Did on a 2500 c anyway.

15. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    My wally world special would have got him....:big_smile: just give me a chance lol...

16. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    yea lol, yall got all these high dollar fancy rods and reels, time i put gas in the boat and truck only thing ive been able to afford is those $25 shakespears from walmart, i got 3 of em.

17. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    honestly I use the same reels I do for bass fishing. I have 30lb spiderwire and love it.

I'm thinking about moving up to bigger catfish rigs but my biggest so far is a 22lb Flattie and I don't get to go much so I haven't needed a bigger rig.

One advantage is having a boat so I don't need a lot of line and can follow one if I need to.

18. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Can I use a smaller outfit for small blues and channels?

Here are the outfits I have:

Med-Hvy 7' Penn GT2 Outfit, w/30 pound big game
    Ugly Stick Catfish 8' Med. Spinning outfit w/17 pound test
    Abu 4600 :embarassed: w/ 6'6 Med Hvy w/12 pound test
    7' Med Hvy Quatntum spinning outfit w/10 pound shakespeare supreme
    7' Shakespeare Custom med action w/2000 size shimano w/20 pound sufix braid

If I can bring 3 outfits, this is what I would do:

Penn outfit:flathead/blues
    Ugly Stick Spnning: blues/channels
    7' Med Hvy Quantum: channels

what are no-roll sinkers, the ones that are flat w/a circle shape?
    What rig (3-way, sliding sinker) should I use, and how much weight?

19. CapeFear910

CapeFear910 New Member

State:
    Just got back from Myrtle. I went to Bass pro and bought some stuff for catfishin. I got a Penn 309 Levelwind and a 7 ft trophy class rod. Got the reel spooled with 30 lb mono. Got some 3 oz egg sinkers, some swivels, and some some Kahle hooks.