Getting Started Fishing Flatheads

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by his&hersuglysticks1976, Feb 5, 2006.

1. his&hersuglysticks1976

his&hersuglysticks1976 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We are used to fishing Iowas lakes for channel cats we would like to make the jump to flatheads on the Mo. river in xtream SW IA we would listen to any advise offerd:cool: :crying:

2. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    "uglysticks" you have come to the right website for flathead info. The principles are bretty much the same wherever you are trying to fish for em. First thing I would do if you are fishing with a boat; is to scout the river. Find a good site to launch and and then explore the river looking for cover and holes hopefully you will come across some spots that have both good depth with a lot of cover. As you probably know, live bait is best option. The more lively the better. I prefer bullheads that are about 4 to 6 inches (but don't be afraid to use larger). You can't go wrong with bluegill or sunfish either. Of course you need to have tackle and gear to handle these fish if you need help here just look on this website for product reviews or just post a message asking people what they prefer you will get tons of suggestions. Once you have the spot, the gear, the tackle and the bait all you have to do is get in position and get your line wet. I prefer night fishing, however I have caught a few flats during the daylight while fishing for channel cats.
    When you say extreme southwest are you talking Hamburg, Nebraska City, Sidney, Glenwood, Council Bluffs?
    My hometown is Clarinda. I don't live there now but I have been on the Missouri a couple of times right there in Nebraska City. The times we went we fished behind wing dams using bluegills. It never failed. I am sure this type of fishing is still the best for that section of the river unless you can find some fallen cover in some slack water where the current isn't too turbulent. I could go on and on about this kind of stuff but I don't want to tell you a bunch of stuff you already know. I will be willing to give you any info you need (if I can provide it if not I will direct you to it) One thing that I would really suggest is to find a video called "A Day on the River" it is an In-Fisherman video and it is very helpful for flats. Also their other videos "Classic Catfish" "Catfish Fever" "Catfish-Predator on the Prowl" are very good videos.

3. BigKatDaddy

BigKatDaddy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What is a wing dam? I hear alot about them, but I don't have alot of experience on a river and wouldn't know one if it whacked me on the head.:eek:

4. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    BigKatDaddy..a wing dam is like a partial dam..it goes out from the bank about 50 yards or longer at a slight angle to direct the water into the main channel. You also have I dams or some refer to them as L dams that direct the current in the same manner just different part of the river. On some of these wing dams they have had a cut..a hole in the dam so to speak..below these holes are deep pockets and very oxygenated water..that are good to fish in the hot summer..most wing dams have large deep holes on the end of them where the current beats out a hole..good fishing areas.. hope this helps.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio

YES ON THE WING DAMS!!

:thumbsup: