Getting Shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cocatfish, Sep 15, 2008.

1. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have the afternoon off tommorrow and am wanting to go catch some shad to put in the freezer. Does anyone know a good spot to catch some 6-10 inchers from the bank?

Needs to be within an hour of St. Louis.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Welcome to the BOC coco......

with the rivers above flood level right now, you may need to hold off on your quest to freeze some shad. Most if not all the ramps are under water right now...

Have you ever froze shad before? Just curious as they tend to be extremely mushy when you thaw them out and are hard to keep on the hook. But that was my experience with them.:confused2:

Either way, welcome and good luck.:wink:

3. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I was told to put just a little water and use a little salt. I caught some nice shad tonight so I am going to give it a try to see how well that way works.

4. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Shad do tend to get soft when frozen,but if you can kep them on a hook they work.The heads tend to stay pretty good.I freeze 'em at the end of the year,for use over winter and early spring.Rat's right,though.Hard to find in this high water.Good luck,let us know how it works.

5. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for your responses. I figured with the water up I would have an issue. When freezing shad, what I have found is if you keep them alive and fresh until the moment you put them in the freezer, they keep pretty good.

I always try to freeze some for the winter.

Does anyone know if you can get to the winfield dam?
    I have caught some around that little bridge before.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
  7. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    River-Rat is this the case with cut asain carp too? Sorry to jack your thread Cocatfish. If the water clears up a bit I'll probably go try and shoot some bait this week with the bow!:big_smile:

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm not sure, I have never tried freezing them before, although I have never had much luck using them in the winter either.

9. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    well like he said good luck on the shad lol oh yeah there is a way to keep the shad from gettin mushy bring u a cooleer with some dry ice . for some reason the dont get soft when u freeze them like that

10. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just got back from Alton. The rivers are moving on and climbing. We were there about 1/2 hr and it raised about 2". We got about 2 1/2 gallon shad and some silver carp.

Stayed on the missouri side. Went to the road that goes to the lock and dam and started throwing. Caught gar, crappie, white bass, drum,
    sucker, grass carp, perch and yes SHAD.

Thanks for the information. I hope this helps someone else out.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks for the report!!

12. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Really, I was getting ready to stock up some for the winter. What are some recommended baits to try in the cold months?

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have had luck with freezing when I use salt and when I use the Vac. sealer. I even took it one step more this year and I salted them wapped them in saran wrap then I vac sealed them. The only time I find they get mushy is when they thaw out a few times. I only open what I'm going to use in the next hour our so and the rest stays on ice.

14. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the same as I do in summer. Shad seems to work the best for me. I just have to us frozzen instead of alive or fresh. As soon as I can I want to get into some skip jacks though.

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I haven't had much of a problem finding fresh shad in the winter time. I have a few spots that have always produced very nice shad in the winter, however if you don't feel like throwing the net in that cold weather, skipjack has seemed to work well too. :wink:

16. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pull out as many as you will need for the next 10 minutes. Scale it, then..Cut out the gut sack and put it on the hook first, then cut them like you would a 2 inch fish steak and run the hook through the skin first to keep them on. Load up your hook. They will unthaw quickly upon hitting the water. Reason you put the gut sack on first is they will normally just hit that and leave the rest. Make em take the whole thing....