getting shad during winter?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by okiekrawler, Jan 19, 2006.

1. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i have always had trouble getting bait this time of year. am i in the wrong spot? where do you get bait?

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Okie, I am in the same situation as you as far as that goes. I can usually find a couple dozen in the hot water discharge off the lake. If you don't have a warm water spot.......? :confused:

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I use cut bream, but they are hard as heck to catch this time of year too. My daughter snagged some shad today while jerking a crank bait through the water while we were trolling!!! LOL!! All of our shad are deep, like 10+ feet, so casting a net is tough unless you want to throw blind and pray.

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I hunt the shad like I do the blues... Bright mornings they'll be in relatively shallow water, 10- 20 feet deep if there's a food source. The water will be a little warmer in the back of a cove or creek channel.

If the day is overcast or windy, use your depth finder to find them in 35+ feet deep water. Tie an extra length of handline to your castnet and let it sink to the bottom. Sometimes I net more shad than I can pick up over the side of the boat. Usually, after allowing most of them escape from the net, there's still at least a half-gallon in the net.

Shad are easier to find after the water warms up, but you can catch commercial quantities of them in the winter in short order. Remember to limit your catch and conserve the resource.

5. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Just figure out which way your wind is blowing, Alot of time if the wind is blowing into a cove you can get alot of them out of that spot. Give it a try

6. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    If I need shad in the winter I get them out of my brothers (Catbird) deep freezer he keeps a good supply for winter.:D lol

7. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Hey, i don't know but I just netted a couple in about 2 ft of water ! It is a small river and it was once one of my catfishing spots. We was looking around to see if the high water would bring any new trees down and instead I see a few shad swimming around(slowly) in some shallow water. I had my cast net just in case and shure enough cast on about a dozen lathargic shad. Needless to say I could have stuck my hand in and caught them they were moving so slow.

8. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shad are nearly impossible to catch this time of the year.( In the Mississippi any way). Me and my friends throw out a casting net and hope. Sometimes we get em sometimes we don't. If we cant we will try catching a blue gill or a sunfish out of my friend's pond.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    If you have a warm water outlet somewhere nearby you should be able to find them. Last week while we were trying to catch skipjacks at the steamplant, there was a guy there throwing his castnet. He was bringing up literally hundreds of shad each cast. Other than that, I sure can't help much.

10. Scott Graves

Scott Graves New Member

I am from MIssissippi, on a nice upper 50 or low 60 day I go to a local Marina and throw my net around the docks. Usually I will catch 30 or so 3" to 5" shad and freeze them for days when I can not find any. I usually feeeze them in some Garlic Salt or some kind of loud seasoning

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    This past weekend my dad and I were fishing in a slough above a dam on the Ohio. I noticed a lot of threadfins jumping around in the slough especially on the warmer banks. I threw the cast net once and came up with about 100 3inch threadfins. Now I know where I can get shad at anytime. Vern