Getting runs

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by stangcrazy85, Jul 28, 2009.

1. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    having runs on decent gills in the muskingum the ones that start out a few clicks which i refer to as pecker runs then a quick screamer then nothing
    bring it in and you have mashed i mean mashed bait
    are the flatties feeling the hook ??? man o man this is starting to reall piss me off any one ever have this happen some help here fellas anything

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like male channels smashing your bait with their jaws. even though they are done spawning for the most part they still have that "Kill" instinct from guarding their nest's for a while after spawning.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I've had several runs like that myself Toby. Not exactly sure what it might be other then I am sure it's a darn cat doing it. I would think they are just picking it up an stop then in 2-5 minutes run again kinda weird tho for sure. Mike might have a good idea about the channels also here.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Funny you mention this......

Same exact thing kept happening to me last night using 4 to 5" gills. Finally I changed from 5/0 circles to 2/0 circles then put on tiny 2" gills. I soon caught 2 flats, 1 blue, 1 channel. I kept one big bait out but nothing wanted it...now and then it moved,,,but no takers.

Just for the heck of it down size one rod and see what happens.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flatheads that are coming off spawn!:wink: rollo

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i heard that their mouths are sore from the spawn and they will do that,don't know for sure,could be

7. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Same things been happening here alot. I just figured it was smaller channels trying to eat a bait that was just a little too big so they pulverize it till they can swallow it. Or maybe they are starting to chew their food LOL. Not real sure though whats going on with it.

8. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i got runs from some undercooked porkchops. make sure you use a meat thermometer:wink: i have been getting the same thing on this little channel lake i fish. my 33 will scream untill i get to my pole then nothing. i just curse the gods

9. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    yeah id say it is definitely male channel cats, they have been doing that for about 3 weeks on the Tuscarawas River for me. One good thing is the flatheads are coming off of spawn now so the bite should be picking up for everyone !!:big_smile:

10. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i got the same thing from taco-bell :smile2::smile2: