Getting rid of unused bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by KansasKatter, Jan 2, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I started taking the bait I don't use and I can't keep alive and running it through a meat grinder, and freezing it in old milk jugs. Then I take the jug out fishing with me, knock some holes in it as it thaws, and tie a rope to the handle, hanging it over the side of the boat as I drift. I use a window weight to be sure it sinks, if it is not filled all the way.

My own version of the chum bucket, and gets rid of the old rotten bait. Just can't let my wife find the frozen jugs in the freezer. Half gallons work better.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Jeff I did that many time but I always tied it right onto my anchor .

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats a pretty nice idea - thanks for sharing!

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep thats a good place for it and lets the current wash it down river past your baits

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a neat idea!

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    For years now I have been precutting my mackeral bait into chunks and then giveing some to my cats watching me fillet the chunks, but the thing that I do is put em in a zip lock bag, and use the chunks for catfishing... With the left overs, I put em in my "Bait" meat grinder, and then put the ground up stuff in a bag and freeze that. Later when fishing' I put the grindings in a bucket, or I have a long plastic spoon and fling a scoup full out to where I am fishing.... Not going to do that with the fish heads from now on as "bluehunter" does quite well using the heads for Blues.

bayrunner ray

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I have a water hole in the backyard. It winds up there along with any of the wife's aquarium fish that get too large.
    Originally I stocked it with 100 fingerling channels in 1996 as a brood pond for channels so that once the brood fish got big enough I could put them in other ponds . I have no clue how big the cats are but I see alot of the new fingerlings and feed them regularly. I have a huge koi swimming around out there for the past year and several large gold fish. A handful of of hand selected hybrid bream in the large category. Minnows of different sizes provide bait year round if I need it with some bread and a cast net.
    Another water hole 150 yards from the house is stocked with hybrid bream and hybrid black crappie. This is a lifetime supply of bait bream for catfishing.
    You can catch the bait bream on a bare hook. No bait needed.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Great idea!! Next time we anchor, I will try that. I am not going to tell my brother though, he will wonder why I am just dropping my line right over the side of the boat! :big_smile:

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Cool idea, thanks for sharing. I might start doing that with some of my sunfish that die before I get a chance to use them. Maybe adding some garlic and livers to the mix too for extra stentch.

10. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Might have to try that myself

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I always take my left overs to my friends Lake and throw it off the dock. He has several nice blues in it that we put in there. I keep tellin his nephew to be careful, one of them is close to 40lbs. I told him he might just wanna put his ski's on when he goes fishin :roll_eyes: