Getting rid of a turtle

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by McDreamy, Jun 16, 2007.

1. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    does anyone know the bestway to get a snapping turtle out of a pond.
    i have one that ate through my bait cage and killed all my bait yesterday
    so he has to die. i know it is a big one i have seen him a couple times pulling my ducks under so anyone what i coulduse to catch him with

2. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    If you don't have any houses nearby than a .22. Or fish for him with a piece of raw steak on a hook.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Shoot them are trap them. a trap will work. Take and make a large cage with open top place a plank they can sun on that henges so they will fall in.

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    take a rat trap, nail some nails from the back so they stick out about a inch. nail trap to a post about 1-2 inches outta water. bait with bacon. he grabbs bacon, snap nails thru chin and he waits for you to come get him.
    nails are better slanted.
    also has to be secure to post or he will just tear it up and swim off.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    get you a folding chair, a burlap bag full of stomped on perch, and a .22. toss the bag in and he will be there pretty soon. he will periodically put his head above water to look at you, and put a .22 slug in his eye.

what i do for snappers is just a piece of fish on a hook, tied with some nylon cord. when he eats it pull him in.

6. flathead jack

flathead jack New Member

State:
    ohio
    If your not into shootin turtles, you can jug for them and then chop off his head. As you said this turtle must die...lol:lol:

7. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i love killing turtles, its not as fun as terrorists but at least i can be drunk while i shoot turtles.

these guys keep talking about using a 22, that would work if you were a woman. i say use a 308 or somthing with some nutz to it. sit back on the hill with a case of beer and a lawn chair and wait. even its all day rember your drinking beer.

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    bring me that turtle when your done and well wash him down with the beer.

9. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i use a 7mm remington and usually blast him and then he sinks lol...anyway i also use twine tied with a large hook and some cube steak on it. use it as a trotline and wait for him

10. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have used a snagging hook to catch them to eat but how big is your if its not to big then shoot him and drag him out

11. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    he is big enough that he bit through a 30lb steel leader

12. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i've caught 40-58lb snappers just by a stringer of bluegill they get close get in the water and get it by the tail then chop its head off but be careful that head can still bite

13. channelcatgod887

channelcatgod887 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm with flatheadjack I've always used jugs to get mine. Use some old bluegil heads or anything that will hold on the hook pretty good. Oh yeah make sure u use a steel leader or he will bite through it. Good luck!

14. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Get a strong big hook and some cord and a toad frog. Hook the frog through the lips and attach the hook and cord to a post just high enough for the frog's legs to dangle in the water. Next morning go out and shoot your snapper in the head. Pour very hot water over the snapping cooter and scrape the skin off of the legs and then clean him and fry him up!!

15. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A 2 X 4, eye hook in center of board, piece of light cable or number 9 wire, large treble hook, some of the stinkingest ,rotten, gag a maggot dead chicken you can find. Put it all together and throw it in the pond. Take a nap or go to bed, go to a movie , whatever your heart desires. Check occasionally, when caught take him to somebody you dislike and put him in his bathtub. If you decide to eat him save the leeches stuck on him for some Walleye fishing. Save the stink, and release it in the womens bathroom at church.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It might be time to have that turtle for dinner. :smile2:

17. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i have been tryingto jug for him for the past 2 weeks only thing he has done has bit my hooks off even with a steel leader so i may have to break out my snorkeling gear and a spear gun or wait un til i see him blowing bubbles on the bottom and try catching him in a cast net

18. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Just go to lowes and buy a chunk of small steel cable. He won't bite through that, and I really don't think turtles are line shy so it should work out.

19. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    ok step 1 take your shoes off stick toes in water step 2 wiggle toes as much as you can step 3 when turttle bites foot bring him out of the water step 4 shoot it with 308 or larger.lol just jokin:big_smile: Or you might just shoot him when he sticks his head up I have used my giggin pole and fished it around where i thought he was and he bit it and held on so i drug him out and shot him

20. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i wouldnt take a chance tearing a perfectly good cast net on a turtle, but that's just me. i am with drew on this one. drink beer shoot turtle. do you live in the country or in town? either way i would probably still shoot. besides this turtle must have been born in that big underground lake of fire, you dont wanna mess around with that.