Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've tried it a couple of times and it works like a champ. I thought I had a cure-all for backlashes. This weekend I had a guest on my boat (who shall remain nameless). He inadvertently (whatever the heck that means) popped the spool loose on a reel that was under a LOT of tension. As you might expect it snarled up big time. He and I collectively spent about 30-40 minutes using the above technique trying to get it freed up. Both our left thumbs were sore from the effort. Made progress, but just couldn't get it out. It was so bad that if I cut it out I wouldn't have had enough line left to fish. So we just put the rod away and did without it. This afternoon I worked on it with a crochet hook, which previously was my go-to tool for bad backlashes. It took about 30 minutes but I finally got it worked out. A crochet hook is the perfect tool when the thumb doesn't work.

All that to save $4.00 worth of line!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.