Getting ready to spawn already ?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by poolman37, Apr 11, 2008.

1. poolman37

poolman37 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I caught 2 nice cats close to the bank last night on hand sized bluegill, both females...could it be they're building up thier "energy/fat reserve" for spawning already ??..the largest was over 11lbs, but the smallest was only between 6 and 7.it really had to stretch to get that bluegill in it's mouth , must have been mighty hungry !

2. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the information?

3. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My bet is that they were just up shallow feeding, water temp is still pretty cold for spawning activity. Nice fish though! Chris

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for information my guess would be they was close to the banks because thats where alot of smaller fish stays and they could have been feeding off of them.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Considering that channel cats spawn high 60's -70 degrees you tell me? Is the water that warm yet? The warmest I have seen is 53 so far I'm sure it's a lot warmer in other parts on lakes and what not. So taking that into consideration I bet there eating real heavy to get ready to spawn. What do you think? Oh yeah it's not end of may-june yet. Thats about what time of year they spawn in missouri.