Getting ready to purchase a family tent.

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Big Dav, May 18, 2008.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    After thinking about it for a long while, we have decided it would be nice to get a family size tent. Something quality so we don't have to do it again in a few years.

I have been reading reviews on-line about some of the higher end family tents. The Kelty Green River 6 or the Kelty Mantra 7 seem to be about the size and price range we are looking at. Both seem to have good reviews on-line mixed with a couple of bag reviews.

Anyone one that has experience in large family tents or these tents, you experiences would be really useful before we buy and realize we might should have went another route.:embarassed:

Any quality brand tent suggestions would be helpful. We are not set on the Kelty brand, its just the ones I have read some good reviews on.

Also any tips on what to look for in a tent. A full rain fly, doors, dividers, rooms, etc? These things seem to be pricey to get quality and I don't want to buy something I will be sorry I ever looked at.

Thanks in advance.
    David

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Dave, I think you're on the right track...spend a little more up front for a quality product today, and you have something that will give years of service. Eureka! and LL Bean both offer good, solid products, as does Kelty.

A couple of things that I like to see in any tent are a full rainfly, and some part of the tent that has no floor...a vestibule on smaller tents, a screen room on larger, family size models. Being able to make hot drinks, instant oatmeal, etc without leaving the tent in a downpour makes the difference between happy campers and outright mutiny, and I refuse to use a campstove on a nylon floor (truth to tell, I ain't wild about 'em in nylon tents at all, but you do what you gotta do).

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks Dave, the screen in area is something we were looking for. I had not though about it for that purpose but a big plus in the down poring rail. I was thinking more for a place to relax away from the blood suckers.:eek:oooh:

Great info and thanks again.

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i got a really nice one off ebay dave for a 150 bucks .

5. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Some things I would look for:
    1. Quick and easy to assemble and disassemble. (top priority on my list)
    2. Light weight and compact storage
    3. Dome shapes are more forgiving with wind gusts than box shapes.
    4. Rainflies that are supported so they don't touch the internal tent even wet.
    5. A medium size tent for adults plus a smaller one for the kids might be better than one really large one.

I would avoid anything with heavy canvas or thin tube metal external supports. We camped in one when my kids were young. There was a thunderous downpour, it got heavy, the tube metal supports bent with a gust of wind, and the whole thing collapsed in the middle of the night. At 3am we were hanging wet sheets on trees. Not much fun at all. :confused2: