Getting ready for the season!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by wadeq, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wadeq

wadeq New Member

State:
    virginia
    Greetings fellow bowhunters, Well, I've started shooting my new (used but new to me) Parker Buck Hunter 70 lb compound bow this past weekend that I purchased from a hunting buddy at the end of last season. He bought a new BowTech and sold me his Parker. I was having a lot of problems with the Parker not being able to hit anything consistantly with it. Another good friend of mine is a bow smith and tornament Archer, he worked with me and the bow for over 3 hours on Sat and man did it make a difference. We started off with the paper test at 4 feet, my bow was tearing the paper up. He put a new string on it (it was in bad shape) and spent the rest of the time tuning it and doing the paper test. It took a while to get it shooting right but it was well worth it. After giving me some pointers on stance, anchor point, focussing on camber and such, I am happy to say that I can hit anything I want up to 40 yds with confidence. The point I am making is, it is worth the time and money to go to someone who knows bowhunting and how to setup a bow to make your hunting experience the best it can be. I also hunt with a Ten Point crossbow that I have been very deadly with the past 3 seasons and he didn't give me any gref for using a crossbow but glad to see me excited about the compound bow. We need all the help we can get from fellow hunters to keep this right of passage alive! Weather it be Compound or crossbow, the more hunters in the woods, the better for our sport. I'm 46 and have been hunting all my adult life but just recently getting into Bow hunting. I get jabbed at and made fun of for the crossbow, but we need to band together to ensure that our Children and their children get to experience this most blessed of experiences we call hunting. Thanks and be safe!

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Bow hunting is something I look forward too all year long. Taking a whitetail with the bow gives me more of a rush than anything else. Just keep practicing and you will be ready to smoke anything that comes within range come season.

Have you picked out a broadhead yet? I'm not sure if you are a mechanical or a fixed point type of guy, but those Rage heads leave a mean gaping hole. :wink:

3. wadeq

wadeq New Member

State:
    virginia
    I use the G5 fixed blade if the wind is calm, but I keep mechanicals in my quiver for windy conditions. I want to try the Rage mechanicals this year, I hear they do make tracking a lot easier due to a nice blood trial. Any personal experiences with those? Thanks for the reply!

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man i can't wait for bow season. it has been killing me since the last day of last season! ours should be opening sep. 27th.

5. mrowe84

mrowe84 New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Shot one with a rage 2-blade last year. Blood was pouring from the hole before the fletchings were even in. First time i'd ever seen that. I'm sold on them.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I need to shoot mine thru paper and get to shooting some in the evenings. Also need to start thinking about clearing some shooting lanes before it's to late. I should have already cleared the lanes out and scouted a new area i have permission to hunt.

7. wadeq

wadeq New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thats what I wanted to hear mrowe84! TV can make anything seem like it's the ticket, but I rely on personal experinces form fellow hunters since you guys aren't payed to say how good or bad a product is. I will be using the Rage 2 blade. I'll start putting up my tower stands this weekend, I made 2 - 24 foot towers out of radio tower peices last yr and they work like a champ. The are very quite when climbing and blend in well when strapped to a nice Red oak! I had 3 bears sitting under me last yr a week before bear season openned, did get a shot at 1 during black power and my "buddy" wouldn't go with me to track it. Like a fool I went by myself to look for blood carrying my 44 mag and was scared to death. No one would go with me to look because they didn't want to waste the last day of bear season helping me find my bear. Lesson learned and joined a new hunt club this yr. Lots of black bear too! I want to take 1 with my bow so bad I can't stand it! Got lots of work to do before then, so have a good one and be safe!