Getting ready for IKE

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Sep 13, 2008.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Entergy Hydro started lowering their lakes Thursday. They've lowered ours 2 foot. We wasn't home when Gustav came through and it blew a foot of rain water in my boat. Took hour and half for the bilge to pump out. I have it raised higher this time.

We have family near Beaumont, TX that had planned to ride Ike out but Friday morning at 2 AM they changed their minds and headed for higher ground. They had just got back from evacuating for Gustav, also they lost everything but their life during Katrina in 2005.

[​IMG]

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I hope everything goes all right. Looks like the boat is secure, but how do you get it up there? Is there a pully system? Agian good luck

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I hope we do not get the rain that the weather are saying we will get, that will be alot of water.

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Looks like the boat is pretty secure! Prayers sent for safety of all involved!

Are you ridding this one out? or have you skedaddled?

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's an electric boat lift. 2 slings, four cables and pulleys, cable ends tied to a shaft that a motor turns, winding the cables, raising the boat. It got a good test when the boat caught a foot of water... lots of weight from the water. My neighbors boat sunk from blowing rain during Gustav, it was under a covered dock but in the water.
    This area got 10 inches and was declared a disaster area when Gustav came through. Not often that hurricanes affect us.

Entergy doesn't take any chances since the flood in 1991. Back then this lake came up fast, they open the flood gates and flooded the lake below us.
    Yes, not expecting any problems unless we have some tornadoes.
    I feel for the people on the coast. From what I see on TV it's a big mess.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dayton the boat looks safe and secure. Just take care of you and the Mrs. Material things can be replaced. The news just said its headed for Arkansas. We may even get a little of Ike here in Illinois.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Michael.

I voted for Ike in 1956 but I'm not voting for this Ike. :wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know just what you mean. This Ike has a bad wet attitude. Thanks.

9. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    hey Dayton,
    My thoughts and prayers are with ya buddy. My brother is down in Texas working, I just got off the phone with him and he says that its rough, no food, all the stores are closed, no gas and that it was hot as hell. Im glad that I left all that behind, I hate hurricanes. The gas was $3.99 and we were tickled for it, hadnt been that cheap in a very long time. Today it spiked to $4.25 a gallon. :sad2:

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I hope that you can wait it out and stick it to the people that are trying to stick it to you

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Whats left of ike, and theres plenty left is bearin down on us right now, just suppose to be 40-50 mph winds and lots of rain, lots and lots of rain.......... its wet.... I can hear the trees howlin outside but the house hasnt creaked yet... suppose to roll thru pretty fast. Dafin, Knows how much I like the wind:eek:oooh::wink:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    we had about 3 " from hannah. and it rained a few days after. and then it started again here with this front on thurs and weve gotton 2-3" since then. and its pouring still. and ike is on its way. the ground here is like grease. and were looking at 2-3" more when this ike turd get here. and like we need higher gas prices. my boat is in the alley on a trailer. and i aint sure it wont float away tomorrow.:angry:

stay safe folks. dont cross flooded roads. dang. now ive gone and done it. everythime someone says that 500 people try it.:roll_eyes: