Getting punch bait to stay on the hook

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by gadzooks, Dec 8, 2005.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I bought some Danny King's punch bait, but couldn't get it to stay on the hook more than 10 minutes. Punched down like the label recommends, pulled it out at an angle, but not much luck. Even tried smoothing it out. Boy, does that stuff stink, but still couldn't get it to stay. Any recommendations? The stuff does smell bad enough it oughta catch fish. I was using #4 Eagle Claw trebles, just lie DK recommends.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jerry, Try putting the punch bait in some cheezecloth or panty hose, I use rig often, works well for me! :D

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've gotta try some looper rigs this year,everyone swears by them.
    Go to the sponsor section and click on Loopers site.They should work on both punch and dip baits.

4. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Not sure why that would be Jerry. The only times that I've had trouble with keeping it on the hook has been in a strong current situation or when the outside temperature has been over 90 degrees and I did not have any cat tail fluff to thicken it up with.. Are you fishing in a river?

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    ;) Use a bigger treble hook...#1. With a new hook you gotta punch it a couple a times till it gets a build up...Then it will stay on good. ;)

6. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    loopers work great with dk's. Like fordman said, I don't think I ever had a problem either.

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use my wifes old hose to hold my chicken livers. I cut the toes out and make a small bag with the livers in them. Then I push a hook thru them. Alot of the time I can reuse the bait after a catch.
    Bill :cool:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Looper rigs or even loofa should hold the punch bait very well.

9. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    well the dk recomends a #4 hook got to a bigger hook either a 1 or 2 ot and keep working it not all the bait you put on is going to stay but this will put a bigger bait and should work for you, also try cattails, this is what we mix in our punch bait and it will thickin it up for you so that it stays on your hook better if your in a real bind can mix plain old oat meal in it also this helps, but if all possible find you some cattails thats the real trick to make this bait work for you at its most, ive been using this bait all my life and i know all the tricks for using it. let me know how it worked out for you.

10. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    May sound strange but,a couple years ago I met an old guy that only used dip baits ,and he told me I could make it stay on longer if I used some pet hair mixed in.He got his at a groomers for free.Never used it myself but it still stays in my mind in case I ever do find a dip bait that is too runny and does'nt stick too well. Anyone else ever heard of this?

11. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I've heard of using hair. But it was dog hair, human hair would work ok also. I have used the cattails and they work great. They make soupy punch and dip baits a little firmer and they really stay on the hook. Cattails are cheap too, FREE! I let them dry, cut them into two inch chunks and stick them in a blender for a few seconds, until they are seperated but not chewed to a powder. The strings are what you want. Loopers rigs work great also. If you dont want to mess with the cattails I would go with Loops hooks.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I have to tell you, Danny King is an ace. I emailed his website about my problem and the King himself answered the email. In the case of my punch bait, it is too stiff. He says that happens in colder weather. Suggested, besides to keep punching the hook down in the bait, to add some evaporated milk. Will try that, just happen to have a supply stocked up from Hurricane Rita. My grandson lives with us and got it so he wouldn't be without milk if the electricity went out. He's 21/2 and hope to get him fishing this summer.