Getting permission to bank fish private areas

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by flathunter, Sep 28, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do many of you guys go door knocking trying to get access to private bank fishing locations?

I have troble doing this, it is very awkward for me to knock on the door of a total stranger and ask to use his or hers land.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    They probably see you with your SETI shirt or YETI shirt and think you are a crazy loon and dont want to answer the door.:smile2:

I dont do it since most of the spots I get are public (maybe thats my problem LOL).

3. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    in fact i do. i get on google earth just to find different ponds and such to try. if one just so happends to be on private land i will give it a shot. so far this year i have been shut down but last year i got the ok and nailed a 32#blue out of a pond bout a half acre big. i know it is ackward but you might be surprised at what you will find in some of those private ponds.

4. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just did it yesterday and got permission to fish a spot on the gmr that has not been fished besides the guy who owns the land just going down to mess around for a while. great spot with a deeep hole on the outside bend. ended up saying screw it and drove down south just to ask. glad i did too because i got permission. i figure yeah you might look like an ass if they say no but you'll probably never see them again

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Yes I do ask. No need to feel awkward Jack. Most are used to people asking and a lot will say yes, some will say no. A few tips to help out. If the owner is working on his property when you stop to ask, step up and give him a hand for a minute, a few minutes throwing bales or holding something for them scores big. DON"T throw your cigarette butts on the ground in front of them. The words please and thank you go a long ways. Offer part of your catch or part of your game if hunting, most of the time the answer is no to taking it, but you score points for offering. Guys, you are the eyes and ears of the land owner when you are out there, tell him if there are any problems.
    Everyone needs to be aware that private property is just that, private.If you don't show respect for others peoples property then don't expect to fish or hunt there.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would think its just like hunting, you ask to get permission to hunt their land.

7. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nothing wrong with knocking on a few doors. And being told no only hurts the pride for a few minutes. Before getting a small boat I think I have at one time or other knocked on every door on Island Rd, Ratliff/River rds and Orr Rds to get permission to either coon hunt or fish. a few said no. But I got permission a lot too. If you don't ask you are very limited to state owned property along the Scioto. Jack if you won't knock on doors how do you get permission? just curious.

8. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Reps bro'. You said it all right there.:wink:

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will knock on doors for fishing and hunting access. I use to be like you Jack but the past three years or so I have have been hitting it hard. I have gained access to about 300 acres for hunting. For fishing I have nailed a great part of scippo creek that no one can get to that holds a lot of good baits. I also have come up with a good stretch of the scioto 4 miles or so that I can fish. I also got permission to fish a very deep hole by the airport here by looking at google earth and then the county auditors web site to see who owns it and went to thier house and asked them. I also leave my number with the owner and offer to help as many of these guys are older. For example I showed up to catch bait out of the the creek and the guy was working on his combine he was up it in pretty good so I just stood there and handed him tools and things that he needed. It set me behind an hour or so on my plans for fishing BUT it is well worth for the privilege to fish the creek.

10. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Oh no,,,, not my super duper top secret hole behind the CYO airport, :big_smile_2:

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    The private lake we went to yesterday is owned by an old widow lady(arent they all) and we jsut take her a bag of fish every once and a while and she comes running out wanting to get the gates for us lol i have never been told no when ive asked for permission anywhere. seems most people are thankful you didnt trespass and do it anyways

12. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    CYO airport? You lost John? The spot I am talking about has a high bank on one side and the only other way to it from the bank is through this fellas property unless you have a jet boat of course.lol So I can get to it either way. The only reason I sought the land owner out was so I could fish there with out having to stay all night. On the boat you are staying all night too hard to get back in the dark!

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will start doing it more, I am a very shy person, I know you would not know it by my post, but it's easy to talk behind a keyboard:smile2:

I know of several prime river spots, that I would like to get access to.

I know a few of you guys remember this post.

Several years ago I stoped at a farm house to get permission to drive back the farmers gravel road to fish a prime bend on the scioto.

The farmer wanted 700 bucks for one year for me to use his road to access the river.

I did not have that kind of money, but I would have paid him a 100 bucks.

It was the last time I ever asked, I know of several guys who fish in my area who try to get permission, and the land owner always wants money.

It is his land and his right, to get paid...And I would not mind say 10-20 bucks to fish a spot for one night.

But I have heard reports of 50 bucks a night, or 1000 bucks a year, to get bank access.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If that were the case I would buy a canoe and put it out in the middle of that part of the river and fish there.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not an option, I cant swim, and I am afraid to be in a boat, had a bad experince with mellon, he about killed both of us.:crazy:

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Joe, would you pay to fish a prime flathead hole on your river?

17. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    No Jack. I have 2 boats and will pull up in the river and fish if I can't fish from the bank. I prefer to use the boat to get to a bank spot but if the guy says no or wants money its time to fish from the boat.

18. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Ever since I have been grown I have asked for permission. Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't. It never hurts to ask, but you let them see you trespassing when you didn't ask and they might just call the law on you.
    There are too many places I can put my jon boat in and fish. The only way I would pay to get to fish somewhere is if it was on a hunting lease and it fronted the river. Now that would be a Grand Slam in my opinion.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now let me ask you this, If you were told no, would you ever go back and ask again? say a year later?

20. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    The spots you now fish, so do you fish them with or without the owners permission ?