Getting out there in the morning

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by deepwoods, Jun 28, 2008.

1. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Question
    What time do you try to get on the water in the morning?

The problem I have if I am going to fish just one day is I like to catch bait before I go to one of my spots. I like to get on the water about 5:20 buzz over to a couple of places I can cast for shad and hopefully get out on the water by 6 to 6:30. I usually stop when the jet skis come out (good subject for another thread).

While I am cat fishing I normally drop a line or two down for bait.

2. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I normally like to fish at night because there is less traffic on the water but everyone has thier own preferance. Most of the cats I have caught have been at night.

3. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Generally I like to be on the water before the sun comes up. You can catch your best bait just before dawn in coves. What you said is about right on the $$$. Good luck!

4. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I like to fish at nite. its cooler and almost no boat traffic on norman. I've caught some nice flats at nite. However, I fish mostly in the morning from 0500 til 1100 simply because I catch more fish.

Deepwoods, what do you use to catch shad?

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds about right. It really depends on who is going fishing with me or if I am by myself. I am on the water before first light if I am by myself.......If my wife goes then It is a respectable 0800 hours

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    a cast net is the easiest although they will strike flies and darts sometimes

7. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    I catch shad at ther very end of the state park either under the bridge or by the spill way. Normally I use a cast net. Another way is uto use very small crappie or panfish jigs. Tie 3 or 4 on one line or you can buy a sibiki rig. They are in the salt water section at the big tackle store s (BPS or Gander). Cast netting is my preference. I will go back in the area looking for shad on top of the water point then boat towards them then cut it off, go to the front and let the momentum move me to the water movement and then hopefully make a good throw.