Getting Legal!

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by flathead willie, Dec 29, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well I finally signed up for the concealed carry class. I'll take it tonight and should have my permit in a couple weeks. I'm not too crazy about letting the government know I have guns or what kind I have but I guess it's better than getting busted for a gun charge and not being able to hunt.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Glad to have another gun on the street. America is at war. All able bodied should be packing. Besides, it just isn't the country us older boys grew up in. Something bad happened society wise. Good idea to have a copy of the receipt for your gun on ya Willie. If you go out of state, or meet up with a cop doesn't think folks should carry, he can ask for proof the gun you have is yours....I live on the IN/KY border and KY cops have a neat little game going. You don't have the proof of ownership, they can take yer gun even though the license is supposed to be reciprical. Cost more to get the gun out of the "system", than the cost of the gun. Cop asks the judge to ward the gun to him as he has removed an illegal gun off the street. Free gun collection. Little something they don't tell ya in class.
    :smile2:

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've had my carry permit for 10 yrs now since while out on a walk going across a bridge with a friend some homies & their low rider pulled up and did a drive by with paint ball guns. they sucked & hit the aluminum railing. It sounded like a 22 hitting the rail. we they got arrested & went to court where they got a slap on the hand. they hit a few other people and a few businesses before the cops got em. since it was night all I saw was something shiny pointing my way. i'd have shot had I had my pistol at that time.

4. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea Gary, I've seen that game played before. Some of those COPs must have pretty big gun collections by now. That's why I don't register mine. I know a guy who had all his taken away over some unrelated incident. They were registered and the police showed up with a list of his weapons and just took them. I like to keep a "tossable" pistol handy. You know, kind of a use it & lose it piece. LOL

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    This needs to stop. I can't believe this is legally allowed to happen. I respect alot of what cops do, but when they overstep their bounds like this, it's no wonder lots of people don't respect them.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Well, it's hard to take when it happens. But those guys and gals aren't getting much pay for all they do. Also they may well feel they are doing the right thing. Just remember to have the receipt on ya, and yer legal. When you think about it, if you were to have to use it and could not show proof of it being yours, it wouldn't look good if it turned out to be stolen or one used in another situation not legal. I've seen many a pistol for sale so cheap you knew it had to be stolen....
    :smile2:

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Well I got my "Diploma"!!! That was the biggest BULL SHIRT class I've ever seen. The teacher acted like he didn't even want to be there. It was scheduled for 6pm to 8pm but even after starting 15 minutes late, we were out of there by 6:30. The guy just asked if anyone had any questions, answered a few with stories from his "30 years at the Federal level", signed the papers and sent us home. There was nothing about when to shoot, how to shoot, safety, or anything. I could have called this class in and had him mail me my papers!

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its a shame the class was worthless. While experienced gun owners may not need the class so much, there are lots of first time handgun owners who could benefit from some real education on hand guns. According to some reports I've seen in the paper lately, the fastest growing group of gun owners are seniors, both because they have the money and they realize they no longer can physically fend off an attacker or home invader. Some have never handled guns in their lives.

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I thought they might go over some of the laws involved or something like that but we got nothing. Having done my own research and doing some competitive combat shooting in the past, I knew a bit about it. However, some of the folks there didn't know much of anything. One guy said he got his first gun a month ago. He was asking questions like, "Should I carry my gun loaded?" WHAT???? I thought the instructor was going to tell him, "No Barnie, keep your bullet in your shirt pocket!"

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    How about loaded, cocked, and safety off aimed at your ding a ling?

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    A dud firearm class now that's a shame cause if you got go to the class you should learn something from it.
    New gun owners without instruction on how and when is a bad thing,they night shoot themselfs or worse someone else.I've had to teach gun classes and and there are always 2 or 3 who have never fired a gun and taking them to the range was the most frighting thing I have ever done.The first day I had loaded guns pointed at me up range more than one time and I was gona send them home and tell them never to touch a gun for the rest of there lifes but the boss wouldn't let me.

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Im with you Willie, I don't want to tell the government what I have for firearms... I don't pack anything unless I'm out in the boon docks fishing, mostly I leave it at home... Got my grandmothers 32colt auto pistol that she got over 70 years ago at least... she traveled on the road alot.

On licenses Do you think they have records in Calif for a Hunter Safety gun class that I took from a "very informative instructor" some 51 years ago... I dont really want to check formally, as the bells and whistles might go off and all of a sudden I have to tell em what I have...

The last time I had a hunting license was nearly 38 years ago, and I'd like to get back into it at least shooting birds.

bayrunner ray

13. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I have been a Hunter Safety instructor since 1973 and we have no records of what any person owns and we never asked for any. As a matter of fact we don't allow any one to bring any of their own guns to our classes.

The only records of the guns I own are with my insurance company and not all of them. The Fed's only know about the ones I purchased through gun dealers but not the ones I bought or was given from individuals.

The conceal carry instructor only has a listing of the guns I qualified with...some were his and others that took the course with me.

I do make a point to make sure I get a receipt for all guns purchased.

Jesse

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Jesse, thanks for the info that you did give.. I guess I may have to retake a class to get a license here in Calif.

Have a great new year...bayrunner ray

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Billie, glad to see that you got your permit but not so good about the class.

My wife and I got our CCW permits about 9 years ago. The instructor came to our house for the class then we went to his farm for firing. It was the same price as going to a public class. At that time in Arkansas a person had to qualify on each weapon that was listed on the permit up to a maximum of 3. A few years later the AR CCW permit was changed to cover any legal weapon carried. Our class was very thorough, the guy is also a Private Investigator and has worked in law enforcement. We still use him for renewals.

In AR you are not required to show your CCW permit when stopped for a traffic violation but I show mine out of courtesy along with my drivers license. I've only did it once but received a favorable reaction from the State Trooper.

Billie, now the next best thing you can do is join the NRA unless you are already a member. If it wasn't for the NRA we wouldn't have CCW permits or probably even allowed to own a weapon.

This past June Governor Bush in FL signed a bill to allow CCW permit holders to carry concealed firearms in Florida's State Parks and National Forest areas... we need this in every state!

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had been reading at a news section site and got some untrue info.

Correction:
    Allows State Parks to restrict the carrying of firearms in all Florida State Parks. Even those with a Valid License to Carry in Florida can not carry in Florida State Parks.
    Prohibits firearms in National Forests except during hunting season. This does not apply to a firearm securely stored within a vehicle on a state road.

17. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear you had a bad instructor in your class. I signed up the first class I could when Ohio allowed CCW permits. We took a 12 hr course, 8 in class and 4 qualifying at the range. I learned a lot about the laws I had no idea was there. One thing I can say is anyone looking to take a course should look for a NRA certified instructor. We had this fella in our class that bragged about all these guns he owned and all the shooting he did and bought two pistols the day we were taking our class (it was in a rented room of a gun store) the next day when we went to the range to qualify this guy couldn't hit any of the targets with his guns and had to borrow a 22 pistol from one of the lady's just to make it through. I laughed so much because the lady who loaned him her gun had just received it that day as a gift from her husband and had never fired it and scored 98 out of 100 at the range. Practice, practice practice and do it from positions you might come across in real life, we had to qualify using each hand because the instructor said you never know when your good arm could be injured and you would be forced to use your opposite arm...that was different, now when I practice I shoot using both my left hand and right.

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    You're right Roger. It's always best to learn to shoot with both hands. It's hard to shoot around the left side of an obstacle with your right hand without exposing yourself to incoming rounds. If we had taken your class, I know half of the 8 people I was with would have failed. There was no shooting at all and really no instruction at all. One guy said he had just gotten his first gun. I'll bet he hasn't fired 20 rounds out of it yet.

19. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    In keeping with the both hands thought, good to carry in a position of either hand being able to reach your weapon too. I usually carry cross draw, shoulder rig, or small of the back. Strong hand high hip is dangerous if you are by yourself.

20. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I hate to hear that your class was so bad. sounds like and instructor in it just for the money. I know some of the F/A instructor i work with have to teach you the laws in a set amount of classroom time and also you have to qualify on the range with each type of weapon you are wanting/going to carry i.e. revolver or auto. sounds like you got screwed on the class.
    you should be able to report the guy if you want thru whatever state agency is issuing the permits. wouldn't want to be in his shoes if something bad happened to one of his students.