Getting lead from old batteries

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by DH84, Apr 15, 2009.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    ive got an old battery or two laying around the house and instead of throwing them out i was thinking about getting the lead out of them to make weights with. Is there any "good" way to go about doing this, i was thinking just drain the electrolyte (hopefully without getting burned) and then cutting open the sides to find the lead.

Any advice would be apprecited so i might be able to achieve this safely

2. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    my advice on this is let somebody else try it first! im not so sure id want to try and melt battery lead down for sinkers. try old wheel weights though, my local garage hands to me by the bucket.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Not sure the amount of lead you actually get from the battery's is worth it. Have talked to some guys that have went that route. every onje of them said pretty much the same thing. ... It just isn't worth it, with the acid involved.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Rob forget it dont even try it i opend one up dident melt it there isint much lead in there but i got to thinking wile i was in the proses the lead fumes are bad alone then add the acid to it two times the danger just give up on the idea please to much danger involved

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Dallas on this. Its dangerous. And you don't get enough lead to make it worth while.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One more vote for 'too dangerous, and ain't worth the effort'.

7. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    yea thats kinda what i was thinking, might just be more trouble then its worth. Judging by the weight of them it seems like there would be right much lead in there though.

ive got a 5 gallon bucket of tire weights, they are the best for it

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Some of the better batteries do have alot of lead in them but they are not the run of the mill ones. Car Audio batteries are good ones if you are wanting to mess with doing them. I have done several but they were total melt down units the batteries were dead and beyond . If you know anyone that does car audio comps ask if they have any batteries that that toasted.

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    DON"T DO IT

There is a lot of nasty stuff in a battery. You are way better off to just go recycle the battery and get wheel weights or other scrap lead metal. I worked at a battery recycling plant for 2 summers and the amount of actual lead metal in a battery is not very much. Most of the lead is in the form of lead sulfate which is very nasty stuff. Melting/burning this can give off H2S gas which can kill you. I will repeat that IT CAN KILL YOU. So just don't mess with it and you will be better off.

10. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did it once and will never do it again. The fumes off the melting lead is really bad. Sell it to a junk dealer and find some scrap to buy.:roll_eyes::eek:oooh:

11. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i had a couple sitten around and i just broke one end out and ran the garden hose threw it for 10 min or so and then busted it apart. When i got it all tore apart i soaked the lead in a bucket with some degreaser for a day then rinsed it off and melted it with some fumes but it wasnt to bad

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

A standard battery yes but the high end car audio batteries are a different beast. Granted not to many people can get there hands on them but the 3 I had I got a good amount of lead out of them. Would I do a standard battery no, not worth the time but another audio battery I would.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    a stinking sinker is not worth your helth or life get good lead leave the batterys alone i dont care how much leads in theam thay are not worth the risk

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    to much work, to little yield, not worth it.

15. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I tried it. had 5 batteries, built a bonfire with them in it and kept adding timber.
    I found a bunch of ash, other metals and very little lead

16. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would take the battery to walmart or some where and get the refund then use that money to buy the weights. Might not get that much money for it but I'd still come out ahead with the time saved.

17. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I had 3 tractor batteries and four regular ones. Put them atop a hickory limb pile and burned them in my dump. It is important to have the pile on sloped ground so the lead can flow down and away from the burning mess since it has a lower melting point than the rest. This way you don't overheat the lead too much causing it to vaporize, and the return is greater. Plus you torch it and leave the area completely then come back a day or two later, and rake up the lead. About 8to 10 lb per big battery and 3 to 4 lbs. per small car battery when done this way. If you do it on flat ground like my buddy did you get very little cause the lead has to sit there in the hot ash and vaporize with nowhere to go but up. It is best advice for the novice to leave this whole process alone for safety and environmental concerns.:wink: With that said , most consider this type of reclamation of lead after seeing 8 oz bank sinkers selling for 2.89 each. Wheel weights provide good lead if you can source them from tire shops, and the fumes are toxic as you please. :eek:oooh: Since you asked, this is the way we have done it and are still alive. Now if I can only remember my name and where we caught those big cat yesterday!:smile2:

18. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I HAD A BATTERY THAT SAT FOR ABOUT 1 YEAR UPSIDE DOWN AND I HIT IT WITH A HAMMER ( PLASTIC WAS ROTTEN ) I SAW THE ACID POWDER AND SPRAYED IT WITH A HOSE FOR ABOUT 5 MIN ...... THE ONLY THING I GOT GOOD OUT OF THAT WAS IT KILLED THE LOCAL ANT HILL AND COMPLETLY KILLED ALL WEEDS ALONG WITH KEEPING THEM AWAY FOR A GOOD 4 YEARS.........THE AMOUNT OF LEAD I " SAW "DIDNT LOOK WORTH IT !!!!!!!!!!!

LeRoy

19. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I agree with all of the brothers, lead and acid fumes are just not worth it. The wheel weights are a good way to go.