getting kahle hooks out

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Sep 21, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i posted this before, im having problems getting kael hooks out, ive trid every thing, so i cut the line and releas them with the hook,in there mouth, will this kill them, i hope not rely need help on this, no sense in killing fish like this, , but circals just dont cut it like a kael they come lose midfight

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Lots of little things that you can do.

As simple as bending the barb down a bit on the hook before you bait up. As long as you keep the line tight it won't be able to throw the hook. But it will come out much easier once landed. You'll quickly learn how much you can bend down so hooks come out easy and yet fish stay hooked.

A needle nose vise grip is a part of my kit. On stubborn hooks I can lock onto the hook as close to the bend as possible. Then wiggle it, and work it till you can slip it out.

Pull on the hook (to open up the hole slightly, then quickly reverse into a push (to free the barb) and roll the hook back out.

Worst case scenario, cut the hook as close as you can to the fish. It will rust, or work its way out much quicker. Much better cutting the hook than the line if at all possible.

Bigger hooks give you levels of how much you can flatten the barb. Smaller hooks are tougher, more of an all or nothing affair.

Also a smaller hook comes out much easier than a bigger one in my opinion.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ill just get stell cutters and cut them out,the fish wont die will it, there stainles steel, i shure hope it comes out , a fisg that size desevs to live

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    So are you getting more hookups with the Kael hooks?

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    are you talking about foul hooking these catfish? if they're hooked in the mouth you shouldn't have to cut the line or the hook. heck, alot of times on a big cat you don't even need the pliers......if you're having problems, use your needlenose, get a good grip as far down on the hook as you can, and give it a good twist in the opposite direction it went in. hope this helps....leaving hooks in fish isn't good if it can be avoided. now if they're guthooked don't try to play doctor......cut the line as short as possible and hope for the best, or take em home n eat him......hope this helps

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Couldn't have said it better.

7. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Jake you said those hooks were stainless right? If so do your best to remove them by following the advice given here in the post. If you have to cut; cut the hook as far back as you can. Stainless does'nt rust. I would suggest switching hooks...

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    with a good pair of pliers u should be able to work it loose , like bobbylee said if your usins stainless hooks they wont rust out

9. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    There is no reason to use stainless hooks in freshwater. Use regular hooks. If the fish is throat or gut hooked cut the line as close as possible. The hook will rust out.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i cant get king kaels that are not stainles steel, and im getting a 100 percent hookup ratio. ill cut them out with wire cuters or cot the barb

11. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Bronze King Kahle hooks are available from Cabelas.

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    several of the sponsers on the boc sale kayle hooks and they are cheeper than the sporting good stores.i cant add to the info on getting hooks out the other guys perty well covered that.

14. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Sorry, I should have mentioned the sponsors on the BOC. The point is, don't use stainless. Bronze kahles are available. :wink:

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its no big deal ill just cut the hooks out, i dont think bronze are as sharp

16. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    How big a hook are you using? A pair of needle nose pliers should be all you need to remove the hook, If you are using something the size of a hay hook it could be more difficult I suppose.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Why make this so hard? I use 10/0 king kahles and never have a problem. If I hook one near the eye I just cut my line and pull the hook through. You should retie any way after fighting a decent cat. Remember pull the hook through and don't even get the barb involved.:wink:

18. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Leaving a stainless steel hook or barb in the fish could be a problem (for the fish). It won't rust and could cause infection or even kill the fish if it's not removed. But it is up to you. :wink:

19. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Hey slikk, how's the cutter technique workin for ya? I wonder what brand cutter works best? you never gave us an update on your new technique....

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i found a new methed pull the hook throght the mouth and the eye pill come through, if its bad all bend the barb thanks for the tips