Getting Internet when Camping

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FishMan, Aug 26, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How about geting the internet when camping. Does anyone use any of the methods.
    I sure would like to get online when on the road.

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Sorry.but my wireless only goes so far.lol

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

Danny,

I think very highly of you, but I think this may be a loose wire, finally discovered in your armor. LMAO.

I agree have to agree with gcarlin on this one.

Take care.
    Cheryl

4. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    if you get to hook up to satolite there is a way i know that you can get that service

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's possible to do Internet by satellite, but the startup cost is usually pretty high, a couple of thousand dollars for the equipment and $60-100 per month for service last I checked. I’m guessing it’s a pain to set up at each location if you are moving around a lot, too. Satellite is the only option in most campgrounds and many rural areas.

Some cell providers offer a data service, but it’s usually very very slow – much worse than dial up. And coverage areas are limited.

Some RV parks offer WiFi Internet. That might be the best option.

I wish I could offer better suggestions.

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Puters, phones, play station 2, LMAO, dont mix with camping. Their be a limit to some things. :roll_eyes:

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

LOL, there be a limit to a LOT of things for the above items.

Heck I never had a sleeping bag until I was about mid 20's. I'd just soon sleep in a hammock or on the ground near the fire. Too old now, have to have a little padding under the tent and the sleeping bag,. LOL.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have to ask a silly question here!!!
    Why on gods green earth would you want an internet conection while campin???????
    I go camping to get away from the everyday things in life and enjoy what nature has to offer. If you need the internet while camping, you might as well stay at home and get it there, cause you ain't enjoying the outdoors anyway, LOL!!!

9. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    koa has internet some of em even have wireless

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is truely sad, the internet is even invading nature now. The only getaway we had left.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's one thing if it's a weekend camping trip, it's another if you are living in an RV for months at a time. I think it's great for the snowbird types.

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

There is a way to use your cell phone to "get connected". I don't have it on mine but the misses does on her cell phone, but her job pays for that.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    J.W. the only reason I can think of as to why him or anyone else would want the internet at a camp site is so he, they can stay in contact with the rest of us on the BOC. Just can't stand to be away from us that long.:roll_eyes: I miss u guys to when camping (but not that much. ):smile2: I could understand it if you was staying months at a time or a whole lot of traveling and never home. Can always go to a libaray somewhere.

14. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    oh man oh man fishman you need to seek help, no cyber camping allowed!

egg

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I always thought that staying at a campground and camping were two completely different things.I do know that I will be sitting here eagerly awaiting anyone who wishes to share the "wild and woolly"with me.You all have a great time,with or without the INTERNET.peewee-williams

16. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    When I go camping I do not want computers internet pda's cell phones tv's stereos any loud music no video games i go camping to get away from that garbage. as far as getting internet go with the sat it runs 500 for the setup an will run you on varying plans from 75 to 300 per month. but still for me i can justify the cost or pain to deal with any of it.

17. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I think it would be great to go camping and still keep up with what is going on here. That way you won't be 3-4 k posts behind. When you are an addict you just have to find a way.:embarassed:

st

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have a buddy that has one of them fancy cell phones. he gets internet on it. pretty handy for looking up fishing reports, checking email, and looking at weather radar in real time. the phone is, i think, around 6 or 7 hundred bucks. i don't know how much the service is - he gets it thru his job so he doesn't have to pay for it.

like i say, it can come in pretty handy, tho he over does it at times.

19. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't have anything going on in my life that I need to get away from. I like the idea of doing what I do at home but doing it in a different place. Somestimes it's nice to just have a different view out the window . I just got home and didn't do anything outside. Drove the mororhome over to the lake and enjoyed the view from the air conditioned comfort, let the dogs play, talk to some nice folks and that was enough. Heck this time I didn't even take the boat.

It would be fun to be hooked up to the BOC, live from the lakeside. I know everyone is different. I am one who can sometimes enjoy myself just thinking.
    LOL, to bad I'm not better at it.

I'm already set up for the campgrounds that have wireless but there is not enough of them. I would like every campground to have High speed wireless and cable TV.

Some day the internet will be everywhere at all times. At that time I will be online when out in the boat fishing. When one of the BOC brothers are out fishing and they want to show us something, click and we will see them live and in action. The BOC will have a Live Link Page for the members.

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Danny GET A LIFE !!!!!!!!!:crazy: :big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2: Last year my son and I were skiing in Colo,riding the lift on a beautiful sunny day on Vail Mountain.14,000 ft snow covered peaks visible with the sun shinning on them ,people skiing in all kinds of colored outfits with big smiles on their faces.I was just thinking how good it was to be alive on Gods beautiful earth,this beautiful day when my sons cellphone went off.I lifted my goggles so he could see my eyes and said"Son there are two things you can do this beautiful day,ski with your father or ski with your cellphone"He turned it off and did not carry it the rest of the trip.I DO NOT allow them while fishing or on my boat or any other time I am doing something for myself,that I love and enjoy.Those are the things I want to do without any daily interuptions interfering.I don't want to be that connected and let me remind you every single communication you make is collected and translated,sorted,and evaluated.You might not want to be so connected either.Take a moment of silence for yourself today because someday we will be imbeded with a chip at birth and wont have a choice.:sad2: