Getting in to a little 3D graphics

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catman529, Feb 2, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OK I got this 3d graphics/animation program called 3D Canvas by Amabilis. The program itself is not very good - it gets "unrecoverable errors" and shuts down if you do something it doesn't like. But if I am careful enough it works fine.:tounge_out: I am learning how to do some of this stuff on my own. I downloaded the program and started work. At first all I could make was a few planets that orbited. In only a few days I have come this far.
    screenshot_3denviroment1.jpg
    The animation part is actually a little easier than creating the 3d objects. I have no trouble with keyframes and moving the camera around. In a few weeks I might be getting good at this.

all right... just thought I would share this. I'm not interested in doing it for a living, just for fun. who else does this kind of stuff?

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Catman there is a program you may want to look at called Wings 3d.It is a realy nice modeling package.Also there is Bryce it can make some of the most beautiful landscapes.You should be able to get a free trial just search for the website.

Also there is Gmax made by the same people who develop 3dStudioMax.

In the game making world the 3 to learn are 3D Studio Max,Lightwave,and Maya.There is also a program called Milkshape3d very cheap (like 20 bucks) and very good at making animated models.

Maybe I can dig up some of my 3d creations in the next week or so.

3. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    good job, im still working with HTML, so far i can do 2D words

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Jerry. I tried the milkshape 3d, but didn't get to know it very well and I didn't like it a whole lot. I was going to try the Maya thing but you have to sign this whole form and everything just to try it. I am using this program just because it is free, but I might try out Bryce sometime.

and sure I would love to see some of your creations.

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    catman,

Try turning down your hardware acceleration to keep the program from crashing. I run a 3d cabinet design program that has the same issue and that is what works. Right click desk top/properties/advanced button/trouble shoot tab/set slider to first or second notch. Apply and close and you should be good to go.
    Another thing you may want to do is look for an updated video driver and up grade if there is one available. Most video cards are sent out with old drivers, even if it is a newer card. On new cards the card is up dated though to get them on the market they are sent out with older drivers, while they are developing a better driver. I learned this from some techies at a large soft ware mfg. company.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jon, by all means do your best. Guys out there only a couple yrs older than you look are making tons of money developing video games for us couch potatoes. They can't teach in college some of what you probablly already know lol . But at least go for a couple yrs just to make sure. Look what happened to Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates. They had ideas and went with them. And now they have more money than GOD lol.