Getting Horned (new to fishing for big catfish)

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Northernglitch, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Northernglitch

Northernglitch New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok, I wanted to ask probably a stupid question but I have to. I see pictures of people holding their cats on their laps on the bigger ones. I thought for sure their horns were on their pectoral fins. Isn't this a good way to get horned if its that close to you?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    chad, those big catfish still have the fins (or horns) on them but on the bigger fish they are not sharp like on the smaller fish. the tips are soft and flexible. not much chance of getting stuck by a big fish.

3. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    never been horned while holding one but a 20-25 lb blue got me last year had him laying on floor and was trying to get hook out and he started rolling and stuck his thorn almost thru my hand in the webbing of thumb and forefinger it hurt like hell had blood all over boat cut line threw fish overboard and hauled it home sore and swollen for a week before i could use my left hand again now i make damn sure im holding them firmly while removing a hook. and to believe i was the first person ever at stanly memorial hospital to be treated for a puncture wound from a catfish. lol

4. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    also blues horns stay sharp as long as they live unless the round them off and they get a lil softy but a big flatheads are like rubber you can bend em all sorts of ways i know from grabbling cus that was my first question was how do i keep from getting horned, lol then whos carrying me if i get snake bit 5 miles from truck lol

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    The bigger fish's pect. fins are not nearly as sharp as the smaller ones. I would say that when they get to about 15-20lbs the fins are not as much of an issue. The 65lber i caught last yr had fins that were completly rounded off. I dont know if that is something that happens with age or what. I do know that I have not caught any blues over 30lbs that had sharp fins.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Chad, Welcome to the BOC.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Welcome to the BOC Chad

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Sharp fins make you harder to swallow. Bigger fish don't need them :wink:.

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The lil ones 1/2 to 10 lbs are the ones ya gota watch. Bigger they ant sharp but can still stick ya. The back spine stays sharp on fish up to 15lbs. Its them lil 1/2 to 1 lbers that have the lil razorblades. lil suckers can sick the heck out of ya or just cut ya from the back side pull the skin off ones spine and it looks like a saw blade. and its sharp on dem lil ones. This from the guy who gets sliced and diced sandbar fishen with the kidds (to onery to wear a glove).:wink:

10. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    All i got to say is bullheads OUCHY!

11. malenko14

malenko14 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I grew up fishing bullhead in the northeast and their horns are terrible. I've had my hands torn up good by em; old timers theory is to rub the cut on the belly slime of the fish that got ya; I got stuck by a 10 pound blue two weeks ago and wasn't nearly as bad as the 1-2 lb. bullhead

12. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I agree, bullheads are a pain **literally** big blues, are ot an issue, at least in my ow experience.

Chad

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Its fins are worn down by the time they get big.Also the fish is probly to wore out to do awole lot of flopping.

14. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I remember watching a fishing show about 20-30 years ago. I don't remember the show or who was on it, but when the guy caught a catfish, he could actually bite the dorsal and pectoral fins with his teeth. You could hear it snap. He never told why he was doing this, but it was obvious he was breaking those horned fins to keep himself from getting stuck. I have done this with pliers, but won't be putting no big flathead fins in my mouth.
    It is a good idea though, except maybe with pliers.

15. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Bullheads aren't nearly as bad as channels of the same size. Small channels are the worst. Probably 95% of the time I get finned it is by a small channel, and probably 90% of the fish I catch are bullheads.

16. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Yea you might get stuck but NO GUTS NO GLORY:cool2:

John