Getting hooked

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by heyop_erator, Mar 4, 2009.

1. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was hoping for some getting hooked stories. I figured everyone who has been around fishing and tackle has had something happen to them at one time or another.
    My story is from when I was about 8 years old and my older brother (by 10 months) were in the basement getting ready for bed after Christmas.Of course we received some new fishing tackle and new poles. Sleep was out of the question,we had to try it all out. The walls didn't go all of the way up to the floor above. So we were casting from one room into the next. I got tired more quickly then my brother and layed down to go to sleep. The next thing I know is something is pulling my cheek and lip. He has me hooked. Now I'm screaming my head off and he thinks this is great and reels all the faster. Dad comes down ready to tan some hide and I'm still trying to hold the line with my feet braced against the wall so my brother can't rip my lip off. Thank God the drag wasn't set yet. Anyway Dad makes him stop reeling on me and goes for the plyers. Of course my brother is laughing and calling me a cry baby. The hook has to be pushed all the way out the other side of my cheek so Dad can cut the barb off and turn me loose. I was called fish after that for a little while but it didn't stick,thank goodness.
    Anyone else have a hooked story??

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Enjoyed the story and your were tough at a young age. Enjoyed. Reps.

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I love that story fish.My only time getting hooked involved my pitbull pup.She was in the back seat and I put my RR back there with a bass lure with two treble hooks on it.Yep she got hooked and went berserk.Broke my rod and while I'm trying to get ahold of her I got hooked all the way through thumb.On top of that she was biting heck out of me.Finally had to hit her with free hand and knock her out.We both needed relief.luclily I had some wire cutters with me so was able to get us apart before she woke up.

4. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The 2 stories that are already on here are so good I'm not sure mine is worth telling. I must say I was laughing like crazy after reading them and I can't wait to hear everyone else's getting hooked stories.

Last year, PHLIPS4BIGKATS and I were saining a small creek just outside of town, trying to catch bait for a tourney in Waverly, Mo. I felt a pain in my leg and thought that something had bit me (despite never having been bit by ANYTHING in KS waters). I immediately started taking huge steps to get out of the water. On my way to the shore, I took a few BIG swooping swings (like Mike Tyson upper-cuts) at the demon that was on my leg before realizing that it was a fishing lure and it had been cutting my hand with each swing I took. It was a bass lure that had 2 treble hooks in it and both ends were stuck in my leg. We got one of the trebles free, but the other wouldn't budge (I was pulling like crazy though the barbs were already in). Chris convinced me to relax while he went to town to get some needlenose pliers so he could save me/stop the crying. I learned one thing; it is MUCH easier to make a new hole and continue the direction of travel than it is to back the hook out after the barb has penetrated.

Real quick, a friend of mine from high-school had his 5yo son out fishing. The boy casts and his hook catches his ole' man's top eye lid:crazy: Fortunately, it didn't penetrate passed the barb so it was "easily" removed.

5. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I was out on morning fishing for wipers on top water in my 2 man boat. I didn't have a net and faced the difficult situation of unhooking a spastic 8lb. wiper. I reached down to lip him and he thrashed and buried the hook in my hand right by my thumb. He thrashed again and the second treble got me in the thumb. Both were buried over the barb.Each time this fish flopped I was in excruciating pain.I cut the shanks on the hooks to get rid of the fish but I still had the rest of the plug hanging out of my hand.I had to load my boat up and drive to the ER since it was 5:30 AM on a sunday morning. I sat in the waiting room bleeding like a stuck hog for an hour.Finally I complained and they took it out.I haven't had any more accidents since and that was at least 15 years ago.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have all kinds of stories about hooks haveing to be cut out of me.one time i all most died out on the kansas river from being hooked, back in the very begining of the flood of '93 my and long time friend were running a trotline near the mouth of the wakaruesa river out of this little jon boat.one moring we headed down there to run it and i was running the line but everything was a pain with the water really begining to rasie, one by one i checked the leads most were empty till we got to the middle i big tug let me know we had one on. so i started to raise the big flathead up off the bottom when it dove straight back down shoveing a 10/0 kahle hook allmost through my hand with the flathead on on end and it tied to a tree with the other i tried like heck to get undone,i felt my pockets and to my dismay i had no knife(i always had one)i screamed at my buddy but he didnt have one either so with us at the mouth and water rushing from all ends the boat kept getting turned braodside and began tipping, the flathead would heave and heave with the current ever time it did i would just scream and try to pull it back. a few times it allmsot had me out of the allready tipping baot with my arm and shoulder in the water and at times my face.my friend ended up finding this one very small pocket knife in the bottom of the boat and got the line cut free. but not beforei had the hook all the through my hand and a broken bone to boot. i had by then wraped the trotline around the front of the boat to ease the pressure. so when he cut the drop i was free.me and him picked the line up again and got the flathead in the baot before i went off to the hospital to have my hand worked on.that flathead is still the biggest one i have ever caught on a trotline at 83 pounds. but since then i dont bother running them, i just stick with rob and reel...lol

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I have been fishing for a long,long time.I have set and ran lines as well but I have been Very,very luckly.I have never hooked myself past the barb.

But you guys are killing me reading your stories..:crazy:

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

that one is my worst, i have had hooks in my neck that had to be removed from drunk friends trying to cast nexxt to me

9. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ah heck..ya wanna go fishin' ...lol

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

should start a whos been busted in the face with a snagged sinker thread.knocked myself out once down on the river got the lead hung up and when it broke the sinker came flying back like a bullet and hit in the forehead..lol good times

12. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    SOME GREAT STORIES HERE, WISH HAD A GOOD ONE, HOWEVER A FEW YEARS AGO I WAS WADING WEARING CHEST WADERS, HOOKED A BASS ABOUT 3 LBS ON A SHORT LINE , THIS FISH RAN STRAIGHT AT ME AND SLAMED INTO MY CRATCH, I HAD HOOKS ON BOTH LEGS AND A MAD FISH
    IN THE MIDDLE, IT WAS A REAL TAPDANCE TO GET TO SHORE AND GET THIS FISH LOOSE :smile2:

13. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    haha aint never been hooked but i got a story. when i first started fishing with my grandpas ol' cane pole my momma took me and my sister to the local pond. well after trying to "cast" the ol' pole out i ended up hookin my sister right in the foot. i was probally only 9 or 10 at the time, and luckily the barb didnt get into her so my good ol' mom was able to pull the hook right out.

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Havent hooked myself but do have a story that happened in Kansas. Came in one morning at Hillsdale after crappie fishing. Loaded the boat and was prepping for the road. An older gent in the parking lot hollered and asked if I could help him. He had hooked him self on 2 different rods while loading them up. Fortuneitly I had dikes in my tackle box and still do to this day. Pushed the hooks thru and cut them off. He was a happy feller except for a little pain. Told me if I ever saw him on the lake he would show me some honey holes. Never saw him again.

15. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
  16. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've never been hooked, but I do remember watching someones pole make a dive for the water.:cool2:

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been really fortunate to not get hooked myself. I did snatch a hat off of my friends head one time and casted it out into the lake. He was not happy!!!
    One other time when I was very young and just learning to cast, I hooked our Pomeranian in the lip with an ABU (rooster tail) treble hook. I dont know who cried the most...me or the dog. Grandpa was able to get the hook out of her without getting bit. I try to be really careful when casting nowadays.....LOL:smile2:

18. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    Was pre-fishing a bass tournement when I hooked a small mouth with a rattle-trap,,,a flip flopping smallie with 2 treble hooks...I lipped him with my left hand and he of course threw and fit and shoved one of the hooks on the rear treble under the finger nail on my left ring finger...there I was a pi&&ed off smallie lipped locked and he hook locked me,,,i got side cutters right quick cut the hook from the lure then got rid of him...my wife, at that time, was a nurse and so I handed her the needle nose pliers and told her to jerk the hook out,,,she refused,,,afraid it would hurt,,,he** it couldn't hurt any more than it did....So fired up the boat,, loaded it and drove to the ER at the closest town,,still with a treble hook in a finger,,,,the doc looked at it....got a piece of monofilament line and made a loop and started talking about something to get my mind off of it and he did the monofilament hook jerk trick and I didn't even know,,,until I paid the bill $120.00 bucks,,,,next time I will drink a pint of Jack and pull it myself.........

19. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Im glad I have no stories of myself gettin hooked..........yet.:embarassed::smile2:
    I do try my best to prevent any accidents from happening.
    Safety first.:wink::smile2:

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    My story is very similar to Bill's, only the lure was a mini-Fat-Rap...........has those little tiny trebles, the kind that will bury in you up to the shank!!

Didn't go to the ER right off, me and my equally intelligent cousin decided we could push the hook through if I had enough painkiller. I proceeded to work on various cocktails that included grain alcohol:sad2:. I got drunk enough to kill the pain, but my overly sensitive and equally drunk cousin couldn't produce enough torque to get that little hook to pop through. His totally PO'd girlfriend drove me to the ER..............all I know is the hook was out the next morning, don't remember nothing about the hospital except trying to hit on the nurse:cool2:. I'd like to have a nickel for every beer I drank in Aggieville!!!!