Getting Deer Hunting Permission on Private land

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by CWARob, Dec 28, 2009.

1. CWARob

CWARob New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It is getting harder and harder to find land to hunt on. So how do you get permission to hunt on private land ? I know here in West Virginia, the farmers don't like the deer eating and damaging their profits but they don't want strangers on their land because of the lawsuits. One way I have tried is to walk right up to the door in the daylight and just ask. To my surprise a couple have said yes and then I get it on paper, but most have said no. I also tell them that I will come out and earn my permission and their trust to allow me to hunt. The other way was to try to lease that land but if money is tight then you need a few guys to go in and help pay the lease and you better have a contract made up that you as the hunter are responsible for anything that happens on that land. In my experience on leasing land is that the first couple of years it is great unless the other guys don't harvest any deer then they say, "We are not going to pay for our share of the lease this year" and now your stuck to pay it all. If you know any other ways to get permission, I would love to hear it. Make a great day God bless.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Rob. Can't help ya out. I own my own land. :wink: Good thread though. How would people approach me to hunt on my land??

3. CWARob

CWARob New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Since I don't know you I would probably find out how much land you have by going to the court house and then asking around to see what type of guy you our, then I would approach you and be man enough to ask you to get permission and tell you a little about me and what I would be doing on your land. If you said yes great but if you said no then I'm still in the same boat I started in.

4. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    earn their trust ask to work for it, farmer/ranchers always have little projects they need done . make up some kind of waver paper.give it to them let them think about it, call on them again. also advertise couldn,t hurt..

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It might help to have a card made up with your picture, name, address, phone number, license plate number, and where you work printed on it. Give it to the land owner when you are asking for permission.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Marry their daughter!! Or threaten too!!:smile2::smile2:

"Cold calling" can be rough. Best to be introduced by someone they know.

But if you have to "cold call" don't wait till season. Hit them up in the spring when there is a lot of work that needs done and they can get to know you a bit.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I haven't hunted private land in 20 years, but when I was young I'd go ask the landowner. I only asked local folks that I knew and who knew me. I had permission to hunt and trap on a place I worked or by asking people I knew.

Many years ago a guy wrote an article in a magazine that pretty much said what has been recommended here. Also its recommended to see if the landowner likes to eat whatever you are hunting and share some with him.

Now that I'm older most of the people I know have kids and keep their land for their kids to hunt. If I'm told NO, then I leave it at that and don't bug em about it. There is a guy who owns land next to public land where I deer hunt, he is a decent guy to talk to but sure gets upset about folks who sneak in and walk thru his land and shoot towards his house. I'm not sure where the boundary is but there are land marks we use and dont' get near his place, he knows us so he knows we don't get near it but we understand also his concern about having trespassers and people shooting in the direction of his house with his family in it.

I was out one morning and saw a kid walkin up the path, maybe out checkin traps or just checkin. He was movin quietly and trying not to scare anything. I appreciated that too. Its a simple thing to walk that trail and see footprints in the snow so there ain't any way to deny going on his land. We normally don't go the first weekend of deer season, thats when all the crazies are out there blastin everything. Makes it tough the second weekend, the deer are still kinda nervous. In the Southern part of the state its usually guys goin from grove to grove and they usually have permission, but its not my style of hunting.

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I ask and look around, I offer to shoot does if thats what they want, Help out the land owners with fence ect. I always offer some of any meat I get. Most of all I just talk to em. They know I am not well off and I hunt for meat first. Also having past pvt land owners for references can help.

If you want to rack up some ground fast just leave a flyer at the local feed and grain mills. Some farmers are just looking for guys to kill off does that are safe hunters and respect the land they hunt on. I got one real nice place to hunt cause I dont use a atv and always shut gates and walk his fence lines for him when out hunting or scouting.

Hunting pvt land depends on good will on both sides and developing friendships. Where out a lil shoe leather and spend some gass and just go door knocking in the spring --having a card with contact info can help. Just be honest frank with them. Lota guys wont let ya rifle hunt till they get to know you but will let ya bow hunt first. Ya know even offeren to help a few weekends a year can up the odds way in your favor. A few weekends of helping out is a small price to pay for deer hunting and getting some great new friends.

9. CWARob

CWARob New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Deer hunting is all year long for me as an avid bowhunter. Summer and Spring I use for planting and scouting and always looking for new property to hunt. Thanks for the information. I will try the feed store sign and also offer some game off of the land to the owner as well. Thanks again, Rob

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Where at in WV ?

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You are kidding right?
    That is a helluva lot of information to be printing on cards to pass out with the problems we are having with identity theft.
    Atleast make em work their ass off for that kind of gold mine.

If you are smart you don't even have your DL number or phone number printed on your checks.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  12. CWARob

CWARob New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I live in Bruceton Mills WV about 15 minutes from Morgantown.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good thread. I have found myself in this dilemma. Got comfortable hunting the same property for years. Now I only have access during antlerless season, and as long as I'm alone. Family kids are old enough to hunt now, and other family politics. Now I have to beat the bushes, and feel uncomfortable approaching someone about hunting. Just never have had to do it, but public land is way too crowded. I do have someone in mind to ask, I just feel weird asking. One thing is for sure...I ain't waiting 'till fall to ask.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry about that but ya'll just have to go on down the road. (Speech #1, you don't want to hear Speech #2)

It getting more than tough to hunt private property, it getting downright stupid for a landowner to allow even blood to draw down on anything on ground he owns. When your insurance man tells you don't, when your banker tells ya don't, when your lawyer tells ya don't, and your gut tells ya don't, it really boils down to DON'T!

I have hunted all my life. I loved it and loved to do it. I have some the most beautiful ground and surrounding ground to hunt that man can have. I don't do it anymore and I only allow but just a few and I know 'em well to allow them to hunt and I am getting a little touchy about that. There ain't a four legged piece of dirt deer out there worth a lawsuit or a loss of a night's sleep to go through that. You can come by here and tell me you'll help me make fence, dig the rutabaga, walk my dog every day and buy my wife a Christmas Present and save me money but I'll shoot the deer for ya and give it to ya in my driveway. (You gotta skin it).

Sorry about that but ya'll just have to go on down the road.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  15. CWARob

CWARob New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I understand completely what you are saying. Even if you have your land posted every 50 Feet by law and somebody still falls and gets hurt on your property you will still end up in court. You will probaly win but you will still have to deal with all the stress and money you will spend doing it. The only thing is, it isn't going to be me the one who had enough balls to come up and ask you in the first place to hunt, It is going to be the one who sneaks on your land that will sue you. That is just like a lock. It only keeps the honest people honest, the theif will find another way or break the lock. Thanks for you comment

16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Most be terrible to live in fear !:crazy:eek:ops did i post that.
    Mans word is no good anymore:sad2:
    ID theft:sad2:
    better take up knitting..:eek:oooh:

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Luckily I have a friend who owns some nice deer hunting property. He likes to manage the does and allows myself to Bowhunt there and harvest one or two of them a year. For myself, that's plenty of deer meat to last throughout the year. Also, I have some relatives that own property that I have access too and Bowhunt their land too. I would love the opportunity to find new places to hunt. I always go in person and stait my reason. Being a bowhunter, I believe, gives me an advantage of obtaining permission easier. To me and others, it's less dangerous to livestock and the surroundings. My arrows don't fly for miles. I hunt from a treestand and my arrows go down at an angle. They usually stick in the ground after they blow through the deer!! No need, in my eyes, to harvest animals at longe ranges. Just my opinion!!

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If I run into something I will let you know and have a sit down w/ya but right off the bat I ain't making any promises . my family has a little chunk outside of Clarksburg and I do mean little and there are issues involving who owns what boundries etc....but no one is suppose to hunt on my mom except my brother and I don't think he hunts..I can't afford the outta state license...My sister lives in mo-town she has friends that hunt no promises their either . If we do a meet and greet and you seem straight up and sign a waiver maybe....I had a BOC member help me out on a last minute hunt I didn't harvest anything but I had a chance . Being straight up and honest ,offer to sign a waiver ,and offer to help out will help you chances . I also gotta tuck my hair up under my hat !:roll_eyes:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Blanket policy my man.
    Get a you a policy worth a couple mil. That should cover the dumber then stupid.

20. CWARob

CWARob New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Next time your down this way give me a shout and we can meet and greet. Thanks again.