getting cool

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by artl666, Sep 14, 2005.

1. artl666

artl666 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    hey all. i live in nebraska and fish the tri-county canal and the platte river. it is starting to get cooler here. it is dropping down into the 40s at night and i don't think it is supposed to top 90 degrees anymore so i have a question. how long should i keep fishing before i put things up for the winter? also when it is cooler does it really matter if you fish day or night? hope you can help. peace - :sad: art

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Water temp has a large impact on a channels behavior. When that water gets down into the 60's and mid to upper 50's they will really start to feed. Fishin dureing the nite really doesn't come into play dureing the fall. It will be more comfortable for you to fish in the daytime instead of puttin up with the cold at nite.

3. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    I know quite a few people who catch HUGE catfish in the early and later winter months. As long as the water isnt iced over you could still catch fish. If you can locate the fish, it's just a waiting game. You need to remember that even though it's cold and the fish are lethargic, they still have to eat.

It's best to use are medium pieces of cut bait from what I've been told. Nothing too big or too small, fished about a foot off the bottom.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I'm going to have to try fishing this late fall/winter, I have heard though that they ball up real nice in a hole and when you find them you will catch some massive fish. Another thing I heard is that you can really devistate the local area if you take a lot of them from the hole.

5. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

I just read an article 2 days ago about Channel Cats and cold weather. In bigger rivers the channels start heading towards wintering holes when the water hits about 50 degrees. When the water drops to 45 degrees or lower they become VERY lethargic. Now Blues on the other hand are different I'm sure?!?! I believe they're more of a cold water catfish?? A friend of a friend told me that his best months for TROPHY Blues are December and January just below the Dams on the Ohio River.......I tend to believe him since he's landed 12 blues this season alone over the 45lb. mark!!!!! I also read that Blues start to gear up to spawn when the water hits 55 degrees, so it only makes sense that they prefer colder waters?!?!

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    what does lethargic mean?

7. redneck88

redneck88 New Member

State:
    Lago Vista,Tx
    i think it means they aint as active as normal,they move slower.

8. artl666

artl666 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    thanks for all the help guys. i now have one more question though. what do i look for to find their cold weather spots? can i fish the river and canal in the cold or should i start heading to the lake. the river is not very deep right now and from what i hear it will stay low so let me know what you think. peace- art :confused: