Getting closer

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Doneinne, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    I'm getting excited. I leave for Michigan Saturday morning. A week of visiting the family and FISHING. I got my brother hooked on catfishing when he visited Nebraska. He has caught a few in Michigan. We are going to be fishing the Grand River at Grand Rapids. He lost a large channel and caught a large flathead in that area. Hopefully we can find a lot more. We will be using cut bait for the bigger ones. What else catches numbers of fish in that area? Shrimp? Night crawlers? Dip bait?

2. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Live Blugill (Sunfish) for Flatheads. Fresh cutbait (including the front halves of the dead Bluegills) for Channels and Flats. Shrimp and Big Gobs of nightcrawlers also work at times. I've also had days when they prefered fresh salmon filets. Bring an assortment and let the fish tell you what they like.

3. ROYDOG

ROYDOG New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    welcome to michigan Don, and good luck. water levels have been high but should be down to fishable levels by then........catch a pig!!!!!!

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I hate to tell you this, but even though this should be the best time of the year, we had several days of storms and the Grand River is almost at flood stage. It went from 3.5' at the guage on the 7th to 10.72' yesterday. That's a rise of over 7' in less than 4 days. The docks at the launch ramps are underwater, except for the tops of the posts.
    More storms are on the way for Friday & next week.
    The key for you guys will be to find obstructions & slack water areas. It will take some effort, but if you find where fish are hiding from the increased current flow, you should do OK.
    Good luck, & welcome to MI. Hope you have a good stay.
    Tony

5. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the water levels come down. We have the same think here water, water everywhere.