Getting busted

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kenlaw76, Nov 28, 2008.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    What are your thoughts of getting busted in the woods? One of my friends was out in the woods hunting doe in one of my favorite spots (where I was going to go first day of gun on Monday). As my buddy was checking out a doe infront of him a nice buck was comming down the trail and saw him move for his bow to get a shot on the doe. Do you guys think that buck will stop using that area or do you think he will just make a differant trail through that area?

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I 'd say it's 50/50 I have had deer bust me in the same spot 3 days in a row and keep coming back but after about a week of hunting that area they kinda went around not far from it but didn't run through the same thicket. I was having problems getting busted because there were so many deer in the area I couldn't get to the stand or leave anytime of the day. But After all of that I have still havested 4 deer out of that area this year.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Been busted like that and sit real still later in the day kill deer. 2Years ago my son and I killed 2 bucks out of the same stand the same day. There is a lot of variables in the woods some times things effect deer different.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Deer seem to be a weird bunch. I would think if you let the deer know you are in the area they will leave. But, this rifle season, my buddy killed a buck out of a stand in the morning, I killed one out of it that evening, and another guy killed one the next day. I will admit that it was the highth of the rut. But, I would think that if a buck saw you he might be a little careful, but won't leave the area totally.

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My experiences. Until you spook him a few times more than likely he'll come back.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Deer encounter predators in the woods all the time with the population of coyotes steadily increasing. I think that it takes more than getting busted once or twice to make deer change their habits a great deal. I know a place that constantly will produce a good buck or 2 each year. I also know that within 300 yds of this place there has been at least 1 liter of coyotes raised each year for the last 4 years.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't think it will hurt your chances much. Only one deer was spooked. There are plenty more in the area that weren't. Two senses need to be triggered to spook them bad. If he just saw movement and didn't smell you, it won't bother him much. I'd look for a different tree in the same area or add some camo to one you have. Maybe get a little higher in the tree.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Probably hasn't hurt a thing, particularly because they're in rut; that buck was probably following the doe anyway.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I doubt it will hurt any thing it don't take much to spook them any way I would think if they left a ariea every time they got spooked they would't stay no where

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I boogered a shot a shot on a huge main frame 8 point. he came in too fast for me to get a draw and stopped right under me. and 2 days later I got another shot at him from the same tree. This time I was ready but he stopped behind a small tree. I waited till I could'nt hold the draw any more. I leaned out and took the shot. I hit the tree he was standing behind. he run 20 yards and stopped broadside. I leaned out to shoot and released. this time my lower cam hit my treestand and about knocked my bow out of my hand. I figured I'd blew him out of that thicket for good busting me twice. A couple days later, I hunted the river crossing on the other side of the river and seen him on the same trail that he was on both times he busted me. It takes a few times before they catch on. Especially during the rut. It's been a few days, so I'm going back to that spot tomorrow.

11. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The title of this thread made me think of something more akin to my high school days.:smile2:

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ..........yea, really........ conjured up some not so fond memories........

13. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    My experience is that it probably won't hurt your chances too much. I don't think deer totally stop using an area if they are spooked, unless there is a TON of pressure on them. They might start using the area more at night if they get spooked a whole lot, but more than likely they don't just move out of that area. In my opinion the worst thing that would probably happen if your friend just spooked that buck once is that the next time he comes through there he's more likely to stop a little farther out and look at that tree to see if anything is up in it. I guess that could make it a whole lot harder to hunt that specific buck, but I bet you see him again. If the first thing he does is look up at you, you might consider moving your stand over a couple of trees or something.